We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how do i finish

Pennellville, New...
Level Contributor
221 posts
241 reviews
Save Topic
how do i finish

How should I finish my trip? My first 3 nights are at the Outrigger Kanaloa. I'm spending 2 nights in Volcano at the Lazy Lehua and 2 nights at the Hale Kukui out by Waipio(town of Kukuihaele). I have a night flight 3 days(2 nights) later. Should I head toward Hawi or down towards Puna? Or???? I'm open to suggestions.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how do i finish

Id check in at the Mauna Kea for its beach and comfort after staying in economy diggs in remote areas

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how do i finish

Id check in at the Mauna Kea for its beach and comfort after staying in economy diggs in remote areas

Pennellville, New...
Level Contributor
221 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how do i finish

Wow, you must be rich. I'm no budget traveler(at least not on this trip) but I'm under the impression that the places I'd reserved were surely not "economy digs". Am I wrong? I'm a school teacher and the thought of spending $400.00 a night on a room is...unthinkable.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,977 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how do i finish

verybigv, you seem drawn to the more out of the way places. So am I ... and I am one of those who can't afford to pay Mauna Kea rates. The places you are staying are relatively economical, but that doesn't mean they won't be nice.

People who are used to staying in resorts feel deprived when they don't get all those trimmings, others don't need the resort experience.

I'm curious what draws you to Hawi, as I used to live there. Your question is hard to answer as who can say which place you should go without knowing what you are looking for. I will try to help if you post a bit more about your preferences.

Pennellville, New...
Level Contributor
221 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how do i finish

Kam,

I've decided to spend a couple of nights in Puna at the Peaceful Cove Cottage. I like to get off the beaten path now and then and both Puna and Hawi look like the ends of the earth. I've read that Pahoa has a bit of an "edge" to it. I don't particularly like to be pampered in resorts. It makes me feel phony.

Thanks,V

central florida
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: how do i finish

I also like out of the way places.We had reserved "The airstream trailer" overlooking Waipio Valley for a couple nights,until the owner passed away and all of a sudden our reservation was lost.Rebooked at a place (I think) is next door.

Still waiting on deposit refund!

To me the view is important

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,977 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how do i finish

I hope you two report on your out of the way experiences when you get back!

(how sad that the airstream owner passed away, that could be a mess re deposit refunds too)

Hawi and Puna are both off the beaten path but very different. Not sure how to explain ...

Parts of Puna and Pahoa are where people have totally fallen off the radar ... they live in a volatile world where some build homes without permits and the volcano could return at any time. Puna is lava and red cinder soil, ohia/lehua, ferns, vanda orchids, rain foresty, and Kahena beach for the alternative crowd. Kalani retreat attracts visitors for new age experiences. Huge orchid and anthurium industry, also papayas and mac nuts. Lots of greenhouses, not all growing legal crops so stay off private property is even more important than usual.

Hawi and Kapa'au are the towns that got left behind when sugar cane production was cut ... plantation towns. Currently they are a mix of long time residents and transplants from the mainland, a lot of artists, craftsmen, massage therapists and healers. Many folks from Northern California--Mendocino County, Carmel Valley, etc., but they generally have more money (you'll find a few with rock star roots) than in Puna and are more focused in their rural paradise.

Many old time residents have tidy houses with pretty yards, some are run down, but fewer all the time. North Kohala has real soil, not lava, acres and acres of mac nut orchards and very nice weather, cooler in summer than South Kohala or Kona (that's a good thing). Stunning views of Maui across the channel, and no real beaches on the north side, but easy drive down to Hapuna area. People keep horses. Pololu lookout at the very end of the road. Fantastic sunsets from Mahukona parking lot. Rains a lot less than Puna but has more wind.

Both places welcome kindred souls and are less than thrilled to see people come and "tour" their neck of the woods, not that they're unfriendly (but don't wander or drive around private roads). They pride themselves on being genuine communities that don't depend on tourism. Pahoa was looking pretty derelict a few years ago and is sprucing itself up. LOTS of people building beautiful homes in Puna now, with the cheapest land practically on the island.

Honokaa/Waipio lookout area, there has been an art and jazz scene (and antique shops) springing up for some time. Also the rodeo. The Portugese community is very strong there. Also as Hawi gets too expensive some of the North Kohala folks have relocated. Honoka'a is really nothing like Puna, not the place to find space cadets. Still very local scene, fewer haoles than either Hawi or Puna. The ocean views are awesome, and there's rarely any vog.

8. Re: how do i finish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 16:19