We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Four Seasons "Cigar Friendly"

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
590 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Is the Four Seasons "Cigar Friendly"

Headed to the FS Hualalai in a couple months for a buddies wedding. I'm guessing this FS is no different that than other FS's I've stayed at but I figured I'd ask: Is this place Cigar friendly?; Are there comfy smoking areas/bars to light up (e.g. FS Punta Mita)?

Few thing make me happier than a great Scotch(or 3) and a great Cigar.

Thanks for any help.

Jason

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Four Seasons "Cigar Friendly"

Hawaii is not smoker-friendly.

From the Four Seasons website " In accordance with Hawaii State law, Four Seasons Resort Hualalai offers a smoke-free stay. Please note that smoking is prohibited in guest rooms, on guest room lanais (patios/terraces) and in restaurants, lounges, pools and other public areas. For your convenience, there are designated smoking areas."

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
61,898 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Four Seasons "Cigar Friendly"

Aloha,

Unless they're breaking the law........sorry to say the answer is "no". The State of Hawaii banned all indoor smoking in 2006; also in the law is any open public area such as restaurants, bars, etc, and no smoking is allowed within 20 feet of doorways or windows that open.

Honokaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
393 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Four Seasons "Cigar Friendly"

That sucks.

I would be happy to share a smoke and drink in Waipio or some other Hamakua shoreline location.

PM me if you like.

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Four Seasons "Cigar Friendly"

Cigar smokers can be the most obnoxious people around. Not saying you are, but they don't feel that people around them should breathe fresh air. There is nothing more disgusting for me than to have to smell a cigar.

LA
Level Contributor
10,509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Four Seasons "Cigar Friendly"

I concur dada1.

Especially when I am in Hawaii to smell the flowers and the fresh air.

Honokaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
393 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the Four Seasons "Cigar Friendly"

That's strange, my cigar smoking friends are some of the nicest people I know. Maybe we should have a smoke and drink and talk about it.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,402 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the Four Seasons "Cigar Friendly"

Itʻs not nice to inflict cigar smoke on people who donʻt want to smell it. If they are truly nice, they wonʻt be oblivious to others and will smoke where the only people around are also smoking cigars. Itʻs truly a rank smell to someone whoʻs not inhaling it firsthand.

Ann Arbor, michigan
Level Contributor
122 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the Four Seasons "Cigar Friendly"

I am not a cigar smoker, but I understand there are people who greatly enjoy this particular pleasure (oh, like the original poster, I love good scotch, just have never had any here).

I would think there would be a place to do this without offending others, and hope those who disapprove might help the original poster find a way to enjoy one of his clearly beloved pastimes with his stay on the Big Island.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,402 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the Four Seasons "Cigar Friendly"

I have no disapproval of the cigar ritual per se, if it's away from non-participants.

The OP has already been helped in so far as is possible. He won't be able to enjoy the Scotch and cigar on property in a bar, but he can smoke in the 4S designated smoking areas. It's not allowed to take a poured drink off premises of the bar, and I doubt guests are allowed to wander the property with their own alcohol, but some probably do.

Disapproving has nothing to with it; it's the hotel policy and State law that determines the answer to the question.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the Four Seasons "Cigar Friendly"

Maybe you should phone the hotel and ask where the designated areas where, and whether you'd be able to take your drink (from the bar or your own) with you, and then decide if it's acceptable to you. I also enjoy a good Scotch (preferably a good single malt, such as Highland Park). Maybe you'll have to drink one place and smoke in another. Another hardship one must endure in paradise. Oh, the horror.

Edited: 30 April 2013, 11:52