We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palm Villas rentals Mauna Lani resort,

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Palm Villas rentals Mauna Lani resort,

I am booking our 2014 vacation a year in advance and was looking to book this place (Palm Villas vacation rentals, in the Mauna Lani resort). Seems like a nice place to stay, anyone hear otherwise?

Here is my rookie question:

I am booking the accomodations early to ensure we stay somewhere great, but I cannot yet book the flight. I've done some looking and it seems we shouldn't have any trouble getting a flight there fairly flexibly. Is this ok to do you think? Or should I wait to have the flight booked before booking the stay?

Thanks for your help

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palm Villas rentals Mauna Lani resort,

I typically book accommodations before my flight if I'm wanting to stay in a particular unit.

Kent, WA
Level Contributor
372 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palm Villas rentals Mauna Lani resort,

We stayed at PV last year in April and loved it. It was our best accommodation in eight trips to the islands.

Have fun!

Kent, WA
Level Contributor
372 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palm Villas rentals Mauna Lani resort,

We stayed at PV last year in April and loved it. It was our best accommodation in eight trips to the islands.

Have fun!

Canada
Level Contributor
9,211 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palm Villas rentals Mauna Lani resort,

Palm Villas at Mauna Lani is a nice property. One of the top perks is the accompanying beach club parking pass.

We typically will book our accommodation a year out (sometimes earlier).... as the choice units do book up early by repeat visitors like ourselves.

We are frequent visitors to the Big Island and are extremely familiar with the various Air routings to the Island from Canada.They will vary according to time of the year in some cases.

Our top choice is the AC #49/50 route which is a direct YVR-KOA on a wide body XM'd 767. This route is extremely popular but is only a once weekly flight that is Seasonal...Sat-Sat ..Mid Dec-April

When we book our accommodation , knowing that most flights out are redeye(late evening)...we ALWAYS now book through until the next day. This way we have a full last day on Island, yet have the ability to secure our belongings, relax, swim shower, , nap, dine...before heading out to the airport for the long flight home.

Canada
Level Contributor
333 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palm Villas rentals Mauna Lani resort,

We love Palm Villas, and no, I am not an "owner" there! Perfect location, allows you to walk to the beach club, both hotels, the Foodland store, and the numerous restaurants at the little mall by Foodland. We hardly used our car, except to go to Hapuna and the beach at Mauna Kea when we desired a longer beach for walking.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,716 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palm Villas rentals Mauna Lani resort,

Palm Villas is a good choice for all the reasons mentioned. I prefer the location of the Point as it is ocean view, and very close to Makaiwa and Honoka'ope bays, but it's more expensive.

I would book accommodation first, but do look at a fare calendar and have a general sense as to which departure days to/from will generally yield you the lowest airfare or if you're using miles, the most available seats.

Edited: 05 May 2013, 19:43
Burnaby, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Palm Villas rentals Mauna Lani resort,

It's funny, we were in the exact same boat a couple of weeks ago. We finally booked at Palm Villas before getting our flights, and we're glad we did so, as we couldn't have gotten that unit if we'd waited.

There seem to be flights from Vancouver to Kona every day, but not always direct ones, and the prices fluctuate. Weekends seem to be a lot more expensive than weekdays. We ended up booking a flight through Seattle, as the direct Westjet flight we expected to take turned out to be about $200 more per person.

Good luck!

8. Re: Palm Villas rentals Mauna Lani resort,

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2014, 06:17