We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best local rental agencies on West Coast-Kohala area

New York
Level Contributor
123 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
best local rental agencies on West Coast-Kohala area

I am looking for recommendations for a good rental, reliable rental agency on the west coast. Looking at the Kolahla area. I have spoken with Abbey Rentals. Would like to see the offers of some other agencies if possible. Thank You in advance for suggestions.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,279 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best local rental agencies on West Coast-Kohala area

Abbey has been around a long time.

South Kohala Management has been as well.

Understand that by using a management company, you are not assured to get a specific rental unit, as you are with VRBO, although you get other assurances you likely wonʻt with VRBO. Pros and cons to the decision, as with most.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,051 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best local rental agencies on West Coast-Kohala area

Many owners on vrbo these days advertise their unit...negotiate a price and then hand you over to their Management company to carry things from there.....Contract, Deposit etc. The company oversees these details , forwards unit access details when appropriate, serve as an On-Island contact for issues once in occupancy. Finally they ensure the unit has not been damaged upon the guest's departure...and then refunds Security Deposit to renter.

Contacting a rental company directly will usually see you paying more. There is however opportunity to select a specific unit with many of them.

IME, Abbey rentals' properties are priced significantly higher than similar listings...not certain the service provided makes up for this disparity.

South Kohala while responsive to our needs on Island...which was a good thing. Their check-in process was too convoluted.....sending us to a remote spot for key access, wrong gate codes etc etc......all this after a late evening arrival and looooooo...ng travel day.

We no longer sign up for that routine.

We have had good , positive experiences with "Castle" who provide seamless booking assistance..and on Island management....both prompt and efficient. You can book directly through Castle or through an owner that handles their unit. You can "generally" tell by the vrbo ad that they use Castle as there is No Housekeeping fee assessed.

We have probably dealt with close to a dozen different companies over the past number of years......all bookings originating with owner.

Mentor, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
885 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best local rental agencies on West Coast-Kohala area

I agree with Wander. When searching for our upcoming 2013 Christmas trip through VRBO, there are Management companies that also advertise on VRBO, and when I inquired about certain properties, the prices were more. I will say they were extremely helpful trying to help accomodate my needs. Mgmt companies will also add a "fee" when you book through them. I have been extremely pleased when booking through VRBO on my own, and have had great experiences dealing with the owners directly.

New York
Level Contributor
123 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best local rental agencies on West Coast-Kohala area

I hear you about VRBO. I have what may be a naive question. I am feeling a little uneasy about sending an individual full payment for a rental. How do I know for sure that they are legit? i guess that is why I've been thinking about using a realtor. After reading the advice here, I responded to several listings. So far i have heard back from 2 who say they manage the property themselves. One asks for a $500 check to hold the reservation, and the remainder 60 days before coming. I feel a little uneasy.

Mentor, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
885 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best local rental agencies on West Coast-Kohala area

Understand. $500 deposit is not unreasonable to hold a reservation with full payment due 60-45 days before arrival. I would ask for a written contract explaining cancellation policy as well what is included, ie, breakdown of the costs. If they do not offer a contract then walk away. There are more great owners than bad ones.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,422 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best local rental agencies on West Coast-Kohala area

I agree, "a $500 check to hold the reservation, and the remainder 60 days before coming." is basically standard operating procedure and on that basis alone you shouldn't feel uneasy, but as advised below, do get a clear written contract.

7. Re: best local rental agencies on West Coast-Kohala area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2014, 05:18