We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does anything/everything stop on New Years Day ?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Does anything/everything stop on New Years Day ?

Our visit to the Big Island will include New Years Day. Apart from not being on the road the night before, do we need to make any consideration for closures of parks, activities, etc ?

LA
Level Contributor
10,098 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Does anything/everything stop on New Years Day ?

Not much of anything stops.

Bars should be busy with the football games.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,227 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does anything/everything stop on New Years Day ?

You'd be surprised about the lack of closure on NY's Day....We were surprised to find the Walmart in Kailua-Kona open. I've never seen that parking lot so empty while the store is open though.

Beaches will be popular with local families and visitors.

This Christmas / NY's 2013.... Given the school break schedule should see the Island playing host to visitors until the weekend of Jan 04/14 or thereabouts.

Edited: 12 May 2013, 01:45
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,774 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does anything/everything stop on New Years Day ?

More businesses would close in Hilo than on the tourist-serving west side. Some big markets may have limited hours, and family run stores may be closed, and some restaurants. Thereʻs no rule for knowing what will be closed from one year to the next.

But NYD is not like Christmas Day. On Christmas Day almost nothing is open.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,227 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does anything/everything stop on New Years Day ?

KK is so right ...Big difference between closures on Dec 25 vs Jan01.

I do recall the Safeway(Grocery) being open in Kailua-Kona on Christmas in the past.The hours however were greatly reduced from their norm.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does anything/everything stop on New Years Day ?

KamaainaK is correct about businesses in Hilo (which is no surprise since she lives there!). My wife and I spent New Year's Eve 2012 in Hilo - most of the stores closed mid-afternoon and were also closed on New Year's Day.

We drove from Hilo to Kailua-Kona on Jan 1, but did not stop many places along the way (the notable exception was Pu'ukohola Heiau, which was open). I would expect the national parks and historic sites to be open, but some of the state sites may be closed (Hulihe`e Palace for example, is closed on Jan 1). Most of these places should have that info on their websites, so I would check there to be certain.

-JimG

Edited: 12 May 2013, 12:55
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Does anything/everything stop on New Years Day ?

Thanks folks. It's the little Gotcha's that can mess you up at times, so it can pay to ask.

JimG - Wow. You get around. Your Alaska trip report has been very helpful. Did you do one for the Big Island ?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does anything/everything stop on New Years Day ?

Sadly no - I am about three trip reports behind and still have not finished the Alaska one! Glad you were able to get some info out it, even in its unfinished state.

-JimG

8. Re: Does anything/everything stop on New Years Day ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2014, 05:19