We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holy cow! Check prices of rental cars!

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
Holy cow! Check prices of rental cars!

I have read this message here before, but it bears repeating. Keep checking your rental car prices with Discount Hawaii Rental Cars and Costco (my two sources--yours may be different) because the prices change. I had reservations with DHRC for a compact car for Memorial Day week (Sat. to Sat.) for $283 which was a lot cheaper than the first ones I had made. I just rebooked with Costco for an intermediate car for $130. That is a huge savings AND a more comfortable car for all the driving one does on the BI. We can hardly contain our excitement for our trip and now to have $153 more dollars to spend is a real bonus. Here's hoping your reservation goes down as well!

Sally in Seattle

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,766 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holy cow! Check prices of rental cars!

Great score!

Thanks for sharing this important tip. :) Letʻs hope others find similar savings.

Congrats on your visit being right around the corner. Hoping the pesky south swell dies down and doesnʻt return.

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holy cow! Check prices of rental cars!

Tell me more about the pesky south swell? What does that mean to snorkelers? South facing beaches are rough or north facing, I can never remember?! I saw on a link you provided for the weather report that Friday looks like no more rain, so I hope I bring good weather for all!!

Sally in Seattle

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,844 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holy cow! Check prices of rental cars!

What it means for snorkelers is head north (where the snorkeling is better anyway overall, and much less crowded). I'm at Waialea Bay now, it's flat and quite lovely.

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holy cow! Check prices of rental cars!

We'll be there soon!! Don't scare away all the honu LOL. I hope the weather dies down because we want to go snorkeling down south at the place next door to Puuhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park (and visit the park, but you don't need flat water for that).

Sally in Seattle

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,844 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holy cow! Check prices of rental cars!

Honaunau Bay is lovely snorkeling, but in summer can be quite churned up. No worries, it's just as good up north, plus you have the added benefit of having an actual beach, and much easier entry/exit.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,766 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holy cow! Check prices of rental cars!

Come to the dark side, kooikermom ... ;-)

come north, my pretties ...

In winter we get northwest and northeast swells, and they affect beaches that face those directions. They are typically swells that come from winter storms across the northern Pacific.

In the summer months, when the southern hemisphere is having its winter, the storms in the Southern Pacific send swells from down under -- and they produce high surf on south-facing shores.

As with the winter swells, they come and go with durations of 2-3 days for the actual swell, and then the water stirred up afterwards. Sometimes they can wrap around -- for example, there is a topic that was just on the Maui forum about Kaʻanapali getting pounding surf.

Some high surf may come from tropical storm disturbances that usually start in Mexico and work their way to the south of us during hurricane season. We just had a tropical storm headed towards us that fell apart, but I was not following the news on it and I donʻt know if it had any bearing on the swell.

Texas
Level Contributor
818 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holy cow! Check prices of rental cars!

We are overlooking Magic Sands beach in Kailua-Kona and have been all day today. Huge waves and lots of local boogie boarders. Amazing to watch for sure. And the sands have been washed away again! The swells are coming from the south. It's like the wind--when it's a "north" wind, the wind is coming from the north.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,844 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holy cow! Check prices of rental cars!

My kid had an awesome time surfing Magics today. Her report: "I caught a bay rubber (: from point into the bag".

Don't ask me what it means, but she sounds happy. :-)

I'm at Hualalai now and it's even flat here. That swell is saying solidly in town and south.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,844 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holy cow! Check prices of rental cars!

Haha haha, this belongs on autocorrect fails.

She texts:

"Bay RUNNER I mean. Into the BAY! Lololol"

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holy cow! Check prices of rental cars!

dark side, KK??? I thought up north was the SUNNY side hahaha!! Really, we are planning lots of northern experiences this visit (and a hunt for condos/houses that we can rent for next time) . We are staying west instead of taking the trek to the volcano and hope to get up to the tippy top as well. Thanks for the description of the origins of the swells--here's hoping we don't have to worry about swells from ANY source!

Shea, we want to go to Honaunau Bay because last time we went there it was late afternoon and the viz wasn't so good, so we hope to get there early this time because it looked fabulous. Hope your daughter had fun safely in the surf! Count down: 5 days until lift off--yippee!!

Sally