We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question about flippers

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
question about flippers

For those who snorkel, I have a question. I've only snorkeled twice with flippers during the same morning and I got blister on my toes, which were painful and I had to stop snorkeling.

For our Hawaii trip I'd like to avoid that happening and may get new flippers (there is a new, inexpensive model which wasn't around when I got my original pair). The new flippers have a strap in the back that's adjustable, whereas my original ones are all one piece.

I went back to the dive shop today and asked if there was something I could do with my flippers to avoid blisters, but their thinnest neoprene sock was 3 mm. and made the fit too tight.

Then I tried on the new model. The man from the store recommended that we buy flippers to wear with out beach shoes (the thin footwear that fits like a glove with a rubber bottom), or wear the flippers with neoprene socks.

So for those that snorkel: do you wear something between your foot and the snorkel??

It seems to me that it would be odd to snorkel wearing a beach shoe under the flipper, but I really don't know.

Thanks so much,

K

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question about flippers

I wear neoprene socks with my fins.

I highly recommend you get the ones with the strap in the back, they're much easier to get on and off in the water, which you'll need to do if yore doing any boat snorkeling, or places with slightly tricky entries like Honaunau Bay. Even simple beach entries are made easier if you just carry your fins in. With the strap at the back you're not hopping up and down and getting sand in your fin trying to jam it over your heel. You just slide it on and pull one side of the strap, or if you have the click on/off ones, you adjust before hand and then when you get in just push it in like a seatbelt. To get it off, one click or push.

Edited: 01 June 2013, 21:18
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,365 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question about flippers

I have the strap ones and love them, but I do not wear socks with mine.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
62 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: question about flippers

I have short fins with adjustable strap. Wear them barefoot & have never gotten a blister. Allows you to put them on in the water as was mentioned--much better. Short blades don't whack the corral but give you boost for handling a bit of current. They also fit nicely in luggage. :)

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
15,294 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: question about flippers

USC gal. could you tell me the brand of those fins? It sounds exactly what i'm looking for.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: question about flippers

I know you PMed me, Hitchhiker, but I'm going to answer you here, it's relevant to the topic, plus my mobile app is useless for answering messages! :-)

I would invest in a pair rather than renting them. They will last you a long time and good fins are really priceless. I actually don't usually wear fins when snorkeling, but I spend a lot of time in the water. I use them primarily for diving, scuba and free diving, and if there is a lot of current and I'm planning to go far out. Hence why I wear neoprene socks as those more vigorous activities can cause a lot of rub. I like the Apollo split fins and I also have Tusa dive fins.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
15,294 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: question about flippers

Thanks Shea. I'll search for them.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,776 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: question about flippers

I use the strap-on fins barefoot, but I'm considering a pair of neoprene socks. My foot is narrow, and it's almost impossible to get a fin that really fits.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,424 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: question about flippers

Speedo has adjustable swim fins.

http://tinyurl.com/m6uhmla

I've always worn Duck Feet with the occasional Churchill when I was really into body surfing. If the fin was too big I wore a standard, cotton half sock.

http://tinyurl.com/knkdz8q

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
62 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: question about flippers

I have Aqua Sphere 'Zip' fins with the split blade. Pics come uo online so you can get a look. I went to short fins for lower back reasons, but quickly realized the other advantages. Have a nice padded back strap and they have worn well. Good luck & happy snorkeling.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
15,294 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: question about flippers

kay, I love to snorkel and I have various fins that I've accumalated thru the centuries. But like, Shea stated, it's just too difficult to get those darned things in the the water. If I put them on and then walk to the water, well, I feel like Donald Duck. If I go in the water and try to put them on, a wave will come and roll me over and then another comes and tumbles me to the edge of the water. I end up get sand in places we don't talk about in public. Before you know it, I've lost one of the fins and I there trying to find the other one. I"ll stand up and look and lo and behold, the biggest wave of all ambushes me from behind. BTW, those little kids on the beach, they're vicious. They down even try to hide it that they're laughing at you.

Anyway, I'll find my other fin and sit down to remove the other one. I'm rushing as fast as I can because I see that there's another wave comng that going to get me. And it does.

So, I've learned my lesson. I just wear the socks. But, like the fool that I am, I hear somebody talk about a silver bullet (Strapped fins), and I'm all ears. Neoprene socks work for me.