We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need to bring my Stroller to Big Island?

East Rutherford...
5 posts
Save Topic
Do I need to bring my Stroller to Big Island?

We are planning a trip to Hawaii, travelling from New Jersey for 9 days. We will be reaching Maui first, staying 4 days and then going to Big Island, staying another 3.5 days. We are travelling with our almost 2 years old toddler boy, do you think we should carry an Umbrella stroller with us Or we would never need it, either during the journey to Hawaii or on Maui/Big Island.

Thanks,

Chintan.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,601 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need to bring my Stroller to Big Island?

That is a question only you can answer. How active do you plan to be? How active is your child? How heavy is he? I would probably bring it, just to be on the safe side. Even airports can be a hassle with a sleepy or uncooperative child.

East Rutherford...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need to bring my Stroller to Big Island?

Thanks for your quick reply konagirl. We plan to be not too much active, and my son is average built, not too heavy at all, and is naughty but only for his age. I am planning to carry this Umbrella Stroller, just in case if i need one as we have almost 4-5 hours layover on the airport between flights. I guess you are right, better to just carry it rather than regret not getting it.

Secondly, I heard and read on many forums that it is not safe to go on a volcano tour with my 2 year old, do you guys have any suggestion of any tour etc we can take where we can at least see the VNC but do not expose our kid to any gases etc?

Thanks.

LA
Level Contributor
9,928 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need to bring my Stroller to Big Island?

I would bring it.

It can be quite warm on some days and you would do the kid (and yourself) a favor if he could at least rest in a stroller rather than having to stand or be held in hotter areas.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,983 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need to bring my Stroller to Big Island?

Take the stroller. It will be a familiar place/situation for your little one among the "strange" surroundings.

East Rutherford...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need to bring my Stroller to Big Island?

Thanks everyone for your help!! I will surely carry our stroller.....

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,260 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need to bring my Stroller to Big Island?

I actually preferred a backpack for my kids when they were toddlers . . . but I guess that is a personal preference. :)

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,134 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need to bring my Stroller to Big Island?

I'm with you coalminer, I ditched a stroller entirely after my first kid and now have a real aversion to them, but YMMV.

I personally do not think VNP is safe or appropriate for a toddler. And given the very little amount of time you've allocated to the Big Island, probably not a good use of that time, especially if you're flying into and out of the west side.

I know you didn't ask, but if it were me I'd just stay put that week on Maui. You'll lose a lot of vacation time traveling between islands, plus the expense, and Maui is a better island with small ones IMO.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,978 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I need to bring my Stroller to Big Island?

I agree it would have been way better to stick to Maui than two islands, but you probably canʻt change it now?

Itʻs not hard to bring a stroller when the airline gate checks it for free.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
22,630 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I need to bring my Stroller to Big Island?

Aloha,

I would bring it.

Is there another day somewhere?

Aloha

10. Re: Do I need to bring my Stroller to Big Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2014, 06:19