We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mellow hawaiian music.recommendations? Like Iz

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Mellow hawaiian music.recommendations? Like Iz

I love the Iz music that I have from previous visits. Does anyone have some suggestions for great easy listening music that comes from the big island? A good store to find it?

Thx

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mellow hawaiian music.recommendations? Like Iz

You are looking for CDs? To buy on the BI? Not asking for a local radio station? Maybe both?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,016 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mellow hawaiian music.recommendations? Like Iz

You are better off buying from iTunes or other digital source. Borders was a good store for CD's, but long closed. I haven't bought music from an on island storefront since.

Go to iTunes, to Iz, then listen to samples of music that was also bought by people who bought Iz. That will steer you towards similar artists, although he was one of a kind.

In addition to checking out recs you get here. I am not a big fan of pop style Hawaiian music, but I have some slack key heroes.

An artist who is mellow and a quintessential Big Island artist would be Keola Beamer.

Led Ka'apana is our insanely talented guitarist, but he is not always mellow, as he likes to play some high energy riffs too. Black Sand is a classic album by him.

Kohala plays with a jazzy feel.

John Keawe is like our slack key classical guitarist.

Another way to support the artists here is to go to their individual websites and order directly -- that way they get more of the money.

Edited: 25 July 2013, 20:31
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mellow hawaiian music.recommendations? Like Iz

If you are going to another Island - Barnes & Noble has a very good selection of Hawaiian music. (I really miss Border's, KK!)

Or you can browse on Amazon as well.

Rogue River, Oregon
Level Contributor
337 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mellow hawaiian music.recommendations? Like Iz

Here's one I like and it looks like Amazon has it pretty cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/Hawaiian-Slack-Guitar-Masters-Collection/dp/B00000JJMW/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1374787277&sr=1-2&keywords=hawaiian+slack+key+guitar+masters

I have usually just checked it out of our library, but at 6.99, might have to think about buying it.

P.S. Doesn't look like that link's going to work. Just search "Hawaiian Slack Key Masters" on Amazon.

Edited: 25 July 2013, 22:27
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
232 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mellow hawaiian music.recommendations? Like Iz

Another idea is to use Pandora to create your own station. If you enter Iz in the top left search box it will create a station featuring Iz and artists similar to him.

I recently started a station with Gabby Pahinui and I’m really enjoying the results and finding many new artists to download on iTunes.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,016 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mellow hawaiian music.recommendations? Like Iz

Amazon and Pandora are both great ideas and I use them as well.

For actual digital purchases I prefer iTunes; also their sample length is more generous than Amazon, but I have found a number of artists by following the breadcrumbs of association at Amazon, and I do order CDʻs from them.

Pandora has also introduced me to songs and artists I didnʻt know existed though the radio station built on artists I enjoy, as Mev explained.

BLBL, I really miss Borders too, on multiple levels.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,188 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mellow hawaiian music.recommendations? Like Iz

It was such a bummer when Borders closed. I loved just going in spontaneously and emerging with a stack of books. Yes, I of course have come over to the digital age and read on my Kindle App, but sometimes you just want to browse actual books. Especially travel guide books, I have dozens of them, and the digital versions just aren't the same....

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
341 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mellow hawaiian music.recommendations? Like Iz

I would consider these more local artists than Hawaiian but give Country Comfort's Greatest Hits and Cecilio and Kapono's "Night Music" a try.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,654 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mellow hawaiian music.recommendations? Like Iz

Hawaiian Music Store will have just about anything you'd want. She is located on Kaua‘i, but has the on-line store.

http://hawaiianmusicstore.com/index2.html

10. Re: Mellow hawaiian music.recommendations? Like Iz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2014, 06:20