We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ironman Competition

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
119 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Ironman Competition

My son just qualified for the IronMan Championships in Kona. He had signed up and now we have to make arrangements. Ideally he would like to get there a couple days ahead to sign in and then after the competition we would like to take a week or so to vacation. He is waiting on Med School to find out if and how long he can miss classes so we are not sure of our dates yet. I am getting the feeling we will have a hard time finding accommodation? So far it would be my husband and myself and our two boys (hopefully they can both get out of school) Any help would be appreciated, he competed in IronMan Lake Placid and the atmosphere was amazing as I am sure it will be more so for Worlds. Any advice on crowds, getting around, how close we should stay etc. Thank you so much !!

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ironman Competition

The hardest part will probably be getting a rental car. Not sure about hotel rooms but there is always the Waikoloa area, between the Hilton and the Marriott they have tons of them.

I would do at least a preliinary booking for a car NOW with whatever date you think you might be there. There is no charge if you go the car rental site and you can always cancel.

Mentioned in this post
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
119 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ironman Competition

Thank you so much, I will do that now - great idea. I wouldn't have thought the car would be the main problem!! I will book it for a longer period of time and just adjust the dates later, just checked on the IronMan site and of course all of the inexpensive rooms are already sold out. Unfortunately my son's academic professor is not available until Monday to see the request for time away from classes. Hope this all works out! Thank you again for your quick reply and suggestion.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ironman Competition

If you are flying into HNL you will want to book your interisland flights as soon as possible also, the cheap seats sell out fastest.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
33,253 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ironman Competition

I answered you on the other thread before I saw you had started your own topic, which is helpful :-) I'll cut and paste my response here to keep it all in one place:

You will just have to jump on vrbo and start emailing and calling. Kailua Kona is going to be the most expensive and have the least availability, but he'll probably want to stay there before and on race day.

After race day I suggest you move up to the Kohala Coast in a condo for the remainder of your vacation. Sometimes there are people advertising at the last minute for athletes to share rooms in Kailua Kona on Craigslist, etc so perhaps your son could do that a couple of nights and you could stay up north.

Read through the Top Questions and get your lodging and rental car booked today. They do run out of rental cars.

If you want to see Volcanoes National Park, I suggest double booking a night there.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kohala Coast
Kohala Coast
Island of Hawaii, HI
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,153 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ironman Competition

Good deal starting your own topic.

A word on the car. A quote or reservation is for the dates you select. If you try to change it, you don't get to just shave off or add on and keep the rate. It will be a new quote subject to the lesser availability of the time when you change.

You might make two reservations for your different options and then cancel the one you don't need as soon as you decide so that someone else can have that car.

Edited: 31 July 2013, 21:50
Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
119 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ironman Competition

First I can't tell you how much I appreciate the DEs on TripAdvisor. You spend a lot of time volunteering to help us plan a wonderful vacation ! I really would be lost without your help. Okay, so my son was cleared from one professor to participate in the Iron Man, still waiting for a test reschedule and my other son to be let out of classes. Although eveything is booking up quickly !! I did make a tentative reservation for a mini van, since we have to transport his bike, thank you so much for telling me to do that quickly ! However after reading the Top Questions and looking into the different places people recommend, most places have no availability because of the race. I did find a condo at Kailus Kona S&R Club, unit K5 SR5 101 which looks beautiful. It is WAY over our price range but I am thinking it will be convenient to the race for my son, and this really is the trip of a lifetime for us with 2 kids in college for the next 6+ years.... They do have a minimum 7 night stay, which is why it is probably still available, but if it is worth it, we will just get that and then move to the coast as you recommended. Ideally we would have stayed in Kona only leading up to the race and race day as you suggested, but I am beginning to panic about finding anything at all. I have read on the Top Question different feelings about this resort, also being so close to the sea wall, and the VOG, but would that be the same for October? The person writing was there in July and if we do have to leave right after the race, I don't mind spending more if it is a beautiful place. Thank you so much - I will continue searching....

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
33,253 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ironman Competition

The vog isn't really seasonal, it depends on a lot of factors but basically is as likely to be bad then as now. But you have different considerations with an IM competitor so you may just have to deal with that if you can't just get a place for a couple nights in Kona and then move to the Kohala Coast, which would be the best option.

Is the KSRC unit direct oceanfront? Unless it is I wouldn't stay there. Too hot. Unless it's air conditioned which I think most aren't. Also note that it isn't in Kailua Kona, it's in Keauhou, six or so miles away from the start of the IM on busy Alii Drive, which is closed race day. So it's not terribly convenient in terms of walking into Kailua Kona or the race venues. Also there's no open ocean access there, if that matters.

I personally don't like the location, at least in Kailua Kona you can walk to more places, but as I said, you have some challenges so at this point you may be looking at the least worst option :-)

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kohala Coast
Kohala Coast
Island of Hawaii, HI
Keauhou
Keauhou
Island of Hawaii, HI
Ali'i Drive
Ali'i Drive
743 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
119 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ironman Competition

Thank you for your quick reply!! It is direct ocenfront ($1870.00 for the 7 nights - yikes) Although it doesnt sound convenient for race day and for that price I was thinking it would be worth it being able to catch parts of the race and maybe getting back for a quick lunch while he is on the long parts... I didnt realize we wouldnt be able to walk to the center of things. Thank you, will search some more and see what else I can come up with !!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,153 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ironman Competition

I think it's going to be very tough to get from Keauhou to the pier on race day .

I would not concern yourself with the vog for this trip. Your focus is to get people to and from the race. That is, I would not go so far as to double book if you get a lodging that expensive.

On race day they close down Ali'i Drive, and that's normally the way to get from Keauhou to the pier. Do you have a map of the closures?

Have you looked at Kona Bay Estates? You can walk to the pier from there although its not a real short walk. It's just to the north of the main town area. It has it's own section on VRBO.

Mentioned in this post
Keauhou
Keauhou
Island of Hawaii, HI
Ali'i Drive
Ali'i Drive
743 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,153 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ironman Competition

Rereading the price quote now, $1870 for 7 nights is not what I consider expensive, especially not for oceanfront at Ironman. $267 a night ... sorry, forget Kona Bay Estates. That is much more expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI