We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai vs. Maui for 1+1/2 old baby and pregnant wife

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Kauai vs. Maui for 1+1/2 old baby and pregnant wife

Hi

I am going to Hawaii in January 2014 with my pregnant wife and baby daughter

We plan to stay in a resort in Oahu and hire a car to see that island.

We are also considering visiting another island - perhaps Kauai or Maui

I would appreciate views on the differences between these islands for my family. We intend to drive round to enjoy the scenery. Given the time of year (January) should I be concerned about the weather in Kauai? I won't be going snorkelling, playing golf or going for hikes due to my family but perhaps short walks

Or can I get a good flavour of Hawaii from just Oahu? Note, a second island requires more travel which has its downside for my pregnant wife and young baby.

Many thanks in advance.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai vs. Maui for 1+1/2 old baby and pregnant wife

January I would go to Maui.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai vs. Maui for 1+1/2 old baby and pregnant wife

First, you have posted this on the Island of Hawaii forum (aka the Big Island), you should repost on the Hawaii forum, which covers all of the Hawaiian islands.

How many nights do you have total for Hawaii? If you have less than 9-10 nights or so, I would stick to one island.

The North Shore of Kauai (and Oahu) will have a higher chance of large surf and more rain in January.

Do a search for Kauai vs. Maui January ... This question comes up all the time comparing the two islands, so you should find lots of older threads to give you an idea of the differences between the two islands.

Generally Kauai is much quieter and less built up than Maui; however, as mentioned above, in January the beautiful North Shore of Kauai, which has many of the best beaches on Kauai, may have a higher chance of rain and high surf.

Also, read through the top questions, which you will find to the right of the page on each of the individual island forums, they should give you a lot of info on weather, etc., to help you decide and plan your trip.

Kirkland, WA
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai vs. Maui for 1+1/2 old baby and pregnant wife

You should look into staying in Wailea in Maui. In January, the whales will be visible and stunning to watch, you can get out and walk along the oceanfront path that is in front of all of the hotels, it's more low-key, less crowded than Kaanapali and VERY family friendly. The Marriott in Wailea has the best Luau, I love the Fairmont Kea Lani & Polo Beach, I also love Elua Condo's & Ulua Beach. More economical lodging can be found just north in Kihei, but I'd stay on the hotel path in Wailea if you can. Feel free to reach out with any specific questions.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,766 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai vs. Maui for 1+1/2 old baby and pregnant wife

Please repost in the Hawai'i state forum, as this is the wrong forum for advice about Maui or Kaua'i unless a Big Island trip is in the mix.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,844 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai vs. Maui for 1+1/2 old baby and pregnant wife

When you repost please answer the questions posed by orchid below so that you can get more help, namely total number of nights and nightly accommodation budget.

In January I too would choose Maui for the whales and generally good winter ocean conditions for snorkeling.

Edited: 04 August 2013, 23:40
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,207 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai vs. Maui for 1+1/2 old baby and pregnant wife

This website is a good one for condos in South Maui: www.mauiownercondos.com You'll be visiting at a very popular time of year. You may not find a 'By Owner' condo and may need to book through a vacation rental agency. Bello Realty is good. Also try: www.crhmaui.com

The only place in Hawaii that you will not need a rental car is within Honolulu proper, where there is a good bus system and where distances are short enough that a taxi will not break the bank.

January is *winter* in the islands, meaning you'll find more sun and calmer oceans on the southern sides of Kauai, Oahu and Maui.

I would also seek flights on nonstops on widebody aircraft in and out of HNL. We avoid west coast connections and the 757's that usually fly them.

7. Re: Kauai vs. Maui for 1+1/2 old baby and pregnant wife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 05:16