We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for Big Island..

hudson valley,ny
Level Contributor
279 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for Big Island..

I'm planning a trip to Big Island in end April/May of 2014 We are planning 7 nights on Big Island. We are a couple in our mid 50's that like moderate hiking, senic drives, beaches, (no snorkeling) .Our budget for rooms We like smaller non chain hotels. The following is what we would like to fit in. I am having trouble organizing a plan. Akaka Falls, Rainbow Falls, Pe'epe'e Falls, Awaini Trail, Umauma Falls, VNP, Thurston Lava Tube, Kaumana Cave, Mahai'ula Beach, Four mile scenic drive, Punalu'u black sand beach, Ahalanui Park , Kaluahine Falls and a trip up to Mauna Kea. We want to stay at Volcano Village Lodge when visiting VNP. Where can we stay of the other coast that is on the water but not a large resort? After our time on Big Island we will be spending 5 nights in Maui and 5 nights in Kauai.. Any advice you can give would be appreciated.. Thank you. Doe.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,776 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for Big Island..

I would drop Ahalanui and Maha'iula you cannot take a rental car down that road. It is not great enough to be worth walking in from the highway either.

I also do not think all the waterfalls will be as interesting as you might think. I love a good waterfall, but not all here are worth pursuing. You don't have the HTBG gardens, which is worth doing. Umauma is not.

There are no small boutique hotels on the water here, but any of the four Kohala hotels other than Marriott and Hilton will not feel like chains. Check the reviews of Mauna Lani, Mauna Kea, Hapuna Prince, Fairmont Orchid, and Four Seasons if it's in budget. Those are your only hotel choices.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,906 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for Big Island..

Doreen - you may want to post on those other island forums - Maui and Kauai to get help with those questions. :)

Edited: 27 August 2013, 22:46
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,785 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for Big Island..

A nightly accommodation budget for the west side would be helpful. I would stay two nights at VVL and five on the west side. Agree with KK on her feedback. If you want to look at a beachfront non-hotel rental there are the cottages at Lava Lava Beach Club or a handful of rental houses on Waialea Bay which you can peruse at 2papayas.com.

The Mauna Lani is a resort and fairly large hotel but also feels very Hawaiiana around the grounds with the ancient fishponds and native vegetation. The Four Seasons has a low impact two story bungalow design with extensive grounds and fishponds as well.

hudson valley,ny
Level Contributor
279 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for Big Island..

I'm sorry, the budget for rooms is $250 a night. We definitely do not want to stay in a resort. Our main objective for visiting is seeing VNP and the Summit of Mauna Kea . I have been thinking that maybe we should do only the East Coast of BI 3 or 4 nights and plan it in between our stays on Kauai and Maui. Nothing is written in stone ,still in the early stage of planning. Thanks... Doe.

hudson valley,ny
Level Contributor
279 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for Big Island..

Doreen - you may want to post on those other island forums - Maui and Kauai to get help with those questions. :)

Hi, Coalminer..Great to see you on here again.. Maui and Kauai are pretty much set. renting oceanfront condo on both.. B.I. is giving me a headache.. LOL... Want to thank you again for all your help planning our Alaska trip.. It was amazing!!.. Any Hawaiian advice would also be appreciated..

Doe..

LA
Level Contributor
9,641 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for Big Island..

Well thankfully, there are no resorts in the Hilo area. Just moldy hotels (snark)

hudson valley,ny
Level Contributor
279 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for Big Island..

Well thankfully, there are no resorts in the Hilo area. Just moldy hotels (snark)

Planning on staying at Volcano Village Lodge...

LA
Level Contributor
9,641 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for Big Island..

The good news is that Volcano Village Lodge is pretty much out of the mold and coqui frog belt. The bad news is that is cool and rainy up there. Make sure to bring a warm fleece and long pants for evenings.

hudson valley,ny
Level Contributor
279 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for Big Island..

The good news is that Volcano Village Lodge is pretty much out of the mold and coqui frog belt. The bad news is that is cool and rainy up there. Make sure to bring a warm fleece and long pants for evenings.

Thank you for the information. I understand that it is in a rainforest and most likely will be wet and it is in high elevation which means cooler weather. We welcome the diversity on this trip. Not to worry, I don't melt in the rain (snark)...

LA
Level Contributor
9,641 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary for Big Island..

It's only drizzly , really, and in a fairly small area up by the Visitor Center. It is cool at night up there. The lower parts of the Chain of Crater Road, down by the petroglyphs are scortchingly hot, as they are shadeless heat-absorbing old black lava under a tropcial sky.

It's the variety in the climate that makes it so interesting to me.

The Hamakua coast, eastern Waimea, and the Kohala Mountain road are rainier than the Volcano area, but warmer.