We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaii Airlines.....smoke and mirrors , dishonest+

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Hawaii Airlines.....smoke and mirrors , dishonest+

Beware of this low cost high fee airline that has positioned as the monopoly in Hawaii.

Do not trust their promises or performance. As an example I recently bought a full fare, refundable ticket for next year. I had to cancel. Surprise, surprise it is refundable but only with a $200 process fee. This was on a full fare non discount first class ticket. !!! This is the only airline I have seen in my 40 years of flying that charges to get a refund on an advertised "refundable fare" While it is refundable they charge you to do so.....rip off

No other airline will treat you like this......avoid Hawaiian

This and they charge for everything from using your own head set to a pillow. Food when served is sub Mc Donalds. You cant imagine how many extras they charge for!!!

With United, American, Delta as options do not fall for their come-on. They may sound cheap but you will pay and pay far more.

Tonopah, Nevada
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaii Airlines.....smoke and mirrors , dishonest+

We just flew Hawaiian, we were not charged for using our own head sets, and they come free in first class.

First class has ok food as does coach. and I believe they are the only airline offering free food still.

Also I asked for a blanket for our 2 year, as it was cooler on the plane than expected, they did tell us we would have to purchase for $15.00 their souvenir blanket, we said no thank you and he came back with a blanket for our daughter anyway.

Sorry for you bad experience, ours is always fanatstic with them.

Did you read the fine print?

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaii Airlines.....smoke and mirrors , dishonest+

much or their fine print is not printed and they make it up along the way. This is the outfit that put Aloha unto bankrupt status through nasty games. .

Yes in first class you get a head set and a slightly better coach seat no where near any others airlines first class seat. It is a poor business class at best. ( among the poorest in the industry).

My point being is what they say and what they actually do are two different things

Had a great time..thats good because it is a fine line you tread. As long as things seem good fine but just wait till there is the slightest problem.

I have seen these clowns turn from smiles to frowns at the drop of a hat.

Again with so many better choices why would you fly them?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,323 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaii Airlines.....smoke and mirrors , dishonest+

A letter to the StarAdvertiser? May not be accepted, as they do so much advertising with the SA.

Yep, being the only show in town has its advantages.

Kona
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaii Airlines.....smoke and mirrors , dishonest+

I've flown Hawaiian Air more than 100 times in the past two years - international, USA continent and Hawaii interisland routes - and have had nothing but excellent service every time. The only beef I have with them is their very high interisland fares, which are due to the lack of any meaningful competition.

On the other island, I've experienced many negative issues with United - lots of delayed and cancelled flights and really grumpy flight attendants, and so have stopped using that airline entirely.

I guess airline experiences just vary a lot from passenger to passenger . . .

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,371 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaii Airlines.....smoke and mirrors , dishonest+

To be fair to Hawaiian, they also filed for bankruptcy, only they were able to reorganize and Aloha could not make it.

I agree that Hawaiian can be surprisingly not so nice in enforcing their policies at times, although United is sort of the kingpin of being jerks IME.

My example with Hawaiian being rigid is they don't relax their change policies for patients and their families who come over for serious illnesses, accidents, surgeries where they don't know when they can fly home. They have people needing medical services on Oahu at their mercy, and yet give no aloha in that area, not even in being friendly on the phone.

No complaints about friendliness in flight.

Inter island first class is a joke though.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,323 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaii Airlines.....smoke and mirrors , dishonest+

It seems that as Hawaiian expands to the far East ... the service had deteriorated. I don't even want to talk about their call center.

KK - Hawaiian should be taking care of Hawaiians ... but I guess that's not where the money is.

Although it seemed goofy to me, and a major hurdle, it would have been nice to have SWA in Hawaii ... if even for interisland flights.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,975 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaii Airlines.....smoke and mirrors , dishonest+

If you think the other airlines are any different, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale!! I've flown Hawaiian, United, American, Delta and US Airways in the last 5 years. I haven't found any difference between them except that Hawaiian gives free food. It's worth eating at least!!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaii Airlines.....smoke and mirrors , dishonest+

with over a million miles on the othesr UAL, AA etc, They are very different, very different than Hawaiian. Seats, Service, comfort, customer service and quality.

Hawaiian is in its own monopolistic world...a legend in its own mind.

My latest run is was when I bought a full fare refundable first class ticket for next year, and they refused to refund it after selling it as refundable a week prior.... Here in Kona we call that a lie...

Go ahead , like dirty harry said' Try me..".are you feeling lucky"

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,124 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaii Airlines.....smoke and mirrors , dishonest+

So sorry this happened to you, but really Hawaiian has been great about refunding or giving us vouchers when we encountered lower flight costs. They do state the cut-off for refunds.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaii Airlines.....smoke and mirrors , dishonest+

Hate to burst your bubble, but Delta also charged me a $250 fee to change a refundable ticket. The key word is "fully", as in fully refundable vs refundable. Yes, I was surprised by that $250 fee as well when I bought a refundable ticket, but since that time I learned my lesson and pay attention to that wording.