My husband and I are planning a trip to Hawaii at the end of the month and need a lot of advice/suggestions!
What we know:
- We are flying into Hilo airport on 28 September;
- We are planning to spend a few nights on the Hilo side of the island, and then a few nights on the Kona side of the island;
- We will be flying out of Kona to Maui (date TBC - but we plan to spend around 6 nights all up on Big Island).
What we want to know:
- How we should split our time - i.e. how many nights to spend on each side;
- Is it better to rent a car for the whole time we are on the island (meaning we would have to collect at Hilo, drop off in Kona) - or is it better to use tours/public transport etc. If a car - any suggestions as to where to rent from that allows one-way drop off?;
- What there is to do on the Hilo side - we definitely want to spend some time at the volcano, and see some waterfalls;
- Where to stay when we are on the Hilo side - should we stay in Hilo and Volcano, or just Volcano etc. We are aware that the accommodation options are more limited on this side of the island;
- What is there to do on the Kona side of the island;
- Where to stay on the Kona side - we are not interested in all-inclusives, wouldn't mind a nice beach (but are going to Maui, so not imperative). Something mid-range is what we are aiming for.
Thanks very much people - any advice appreciated. Feel free to ask questions if you need more info!