We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheap rentals an hour driving south from kona.what is wrong?

Vernon Hills...
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Topic
cheap rentals an hour driving south from kona.what is wrong?

Hello everyone. Me and my husband are going to the Big Island in the mid October 2013. We were surprised when found several houses 2+ bedrooms at a $200. Some of them are only 100 USD plus taxes! They all look gorgeous and are oceanfront. To say more, after we did several inquires, we got many calls from owners or managers pushing to book their accommodation. All of the houses we were looking at are situated south of captain cook. We are very concerned, is there something wrong with these houses? Thank you!

California
Level Contributor
5,757 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheap rentals an hour driving south from kona.what is wrong?

Most visitors don't stay in this area due to several reasons so of course price will reflect this. Some of the local 's on this forum will be able to give you a better reason why this isn't a popular tourist area.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,439 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cheap rentals an hour driving south from kona.what is wrong?

I assume you don't mean an hour south of "Kona", but an hour south of Kailua-Kona, in the South Kona and maybe even Ka'u areas.

Most of these rentals are located in residential neighborhoods with dogs, kids, noise, are close together and depending on where they are, in some areas that get some crime and drug use.

There are no beaches to speak of anywhere around there, except Ho'okena, primary the beach district is two hours or more north, depending on where exactly the rental is. The area gets a lot of vog and the weather is not nearly as good as in South Kohala. Many of the subdivisions are down steep hills that take a lot of time to get in and out of, and there is little to no tourist infrastructure around, so you have to drive hours every day to get to restaurants, etc., and they make a poor base for exploring the island for that reason as well.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,439 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cheap rentals an hour driving south from kona.what is wrong?

Are you going to be here at/around Ironman on October 12th? If so make sure you book your rental car ASAP if you haven't already.

California
Level Contributor
771 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cheap rentals an hour driving south from kona.what is wrong?

There are some beautiful oceanfront homes at Milolii, but I sure wouldn't want to rent in that area (stray dogs, drugs, unfriendly locals). I imagine the owners have a difficult time to renting them out, hence the cheap price.

Kona
Level Contributor
2,339 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cheap rentals an hour driving south from kona.what is wrong?

If you would post some links to the properties you are asking about, we could give more meaningful feedback.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: cheap rentals an hour driving south from kona.what is wrong?

You can find condos in the Waikoloa area that time of year for $130 or less searching www.vrbo.com. Some even offer golf discounts that save you even more.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,653 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cheap rentals an hour driving south from kona.what is wrong?

It is very helpful if you can get the subdivision or the street it is on, but at the least a link. As wahine said, we can only generalize and speculate without knowing more specific locations. The Big Island has many differences from one subdivision to another. Although in a way you answers your own question when you said an hour south of (Kailua) Kona. That's a long way away from most everything.

Kona Paradise is one with a horribly steep road in and out, and in bad vog.

Miloli'i has beautiful homes close to not just unfriendly but hostile locals. I would never stay down there. The road in and out of there is a pain too, and the whole area sits on a big hot plain of lava.

Use Google street view to get an on the ground look.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cheap rentals an hour driving south from kona.what is wrong?

Location, location, location. Look at "for sale" ads on the Big Island, and you'll see similar varitations in price.

Edited: 17 September 2013, 21:37
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cheap rentals an hour driving south from kona.what is wrong?

Nadezda:

The prices reflect the location. Most tourists shouldn't stay any farther south than Captain Cook unless you just want to really zone out in the middle of no where and Captain Cook is only really handy for exploring Hononau and Kealakekue Bay. Driving an hour south of Kona will be almost haf way to Volcano but almost nothing to do for tourists except maybe a strategic jumping off point for South Point and Volcano.

Tell us more of what you are looking for in amenites, price per night, and how many nights you are staying on the Big Island then we can give you some better suggestions for rentals or accomodations.

Vernon Hills...
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: cheap rentals an hour driving south from kona.what is wrong?

Thank you all for fast response! You helped a lot on deciding not to stay in that area. I felt that something must've been wrong, but wanted to hear from people who really know. We use vrbo.com to book, and already have two great condos to choose from. One is in Hali'i Kai and other in Kahaluu-Keauhou. Thank you all again!