We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with condos on Kohala Coast

OTR
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
193 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Help with condos on Kohala Coast

I'm trying to find a condo for 9 nights in February (2/2-2/11) and need some expert help. Looking at 2 bedroom (we only need one but most are two) for my husband and me--young retirees. I'm finding some in Waikoloa Village, Shores at Waikoloa, Vista Waikola, Waikola Beach Villas, and Fairway Villas. Many don't have reviews so I'm looking at photos. I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance. Any of those I should avoid? We are planning on spending most of our time exploring the island so we aren't real picky but for 9 days we want something not real noisy and relatively comfortable.Trying to keep it under $200/night. Also hoping for tennis courts.

Mentioned in this post
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Fairway Villas
Fairway Villas
423 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,259 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with condos on Kohala Coast

We stayed at the Fairways at the Mauna Lani Resort for 9 nights in Mar/April this year and really enjoyed the condo, the resort and the beach. We made good use of the tennis facility - they offered us a short term membership which saved us some money vs. paying each time we played. The Fairways are a 5 minute drive to the tennis club - the Palm Villas are within walking distance. Here's an aerial view of the tennis facility: http://goo.gl/maps/zeEwP (the Palm Villas are the ones in the bottom left of the map. (Just a note that the lap pool is part of the sports club, which has a separate fee from the tennis facility.)

Edited: 25 September 2013, 01:25
Canada
Level Contributor
9,450 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with condos on Kohala Coast

So the majority of the condo complexes you mentioned are located within the Waikoloa Beach Resort.

As far as those with onsite tennis...that would be . The Shores, The Colony, Hali'i Kai. Bay Club also has tennis, but I believe that is a totally timeshare place.

Waikoloa Village would not be on the radar IMO....as it is ."up the hill" about 6 miles, extremely windy....and the properties there are dated and the area has very little dining infrastructure.

Being within either the Waikoloa Beach Resort or Mauna Lani Resort is ideal for close proximity to the area's best beaches.

Edited: 25 September 2013, 02:01
Mentioned in this post
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
The Bay Club at Waikoloa Beach Resort
The Bay Club at Waikoloa...
1,067 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waikoloa Beach Resort
Waikoloa Beach Resort
289 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,153 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with condos on Kohala Coast

With your budget quite decent, I would agree to stay down the hill. When I see a very tight budget, I will sometimes point to the Village. If has undeniable tradeoffs for its good price, as mentioned.

Wanderlust has more experience with a wide variety of complexes than anyone I can think of, so you are in great hands when it comes to specifics, even of units and choices within the complexes.

Susanʻs suggestion of Mauna Lani is certainly appealing. It is a more serene and upscale resort, with a far better beach (even though it is not as large), and it is a relatively difficult beach to access without a renterʻs parking pass. Waikoloa Beach has no special access amenities. It is the same for the public.

Waikoloa Beach has more walk to opportunities, more shopping, more restaurants, and generally appeals to people who prioritize that, and who like some buzz. As I said, Mauna Lani is quiet, which I prefer, and it feels a lot less built up and busy. Your choice, no right or wrong, just what works for you.

However, the Mauna Lani condos tend to be more costly, except for with Kolea and Haliʻi Kai, and that reflects the selling price. A lot of Mauna Lani units sold at 7-800,000. It is really a bargain to get a rental of that league for anything near $200, yet it has been possible for a while. I think if the recession completely fades that those condos will go back up to where they were meant to be when they sold.

The only way you will get a one bedroom is if the owner has locked it off for their own use or storage. They donʻt build one bedroom or studio condos in this area any more (as was said).

Edited: 25 September 2013, 02:48
Mentioned in this post
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kolea at Waikoloa Beach Resort
Kolea at Waikoloa Beach...
250 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
OTR
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
193 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with condos on Kohala Coast

I have been looking at Mauna Lani and most are closer to $300 or more/night. I found this VRBO listing at Vista Waikoloa http://www.vrbo.com/476618# It doesn't actually say which condo it is.

Also looking at this one at Waikoloa Beach Villas http://www.vrbo.com/85439#overview

The pickings are somewhat slim for February in our price range.

Mentioned in this post
Vista Waikoloa
Vista Waikoloa
84 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
OTR
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
193 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with condos on Kohala Coast

One more that sounds good at Shores at Waikoloa http://www.vrbo.com/172110#overview

My understanding is that all of these...Shores at Waikoloa, Vista Waikoloa, and the Beach Villas are all part of the Waikoloa Beach resort correct?

Mentioned in this post
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Vista Waikoloa
Vista Waikoloa
84 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waikoloa Beach Resort
Waikoloa Beach Resort
289 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,153 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with condos on Kohala Coast

There is a website for Waikoloa Beach Resort that should list all the condo complexes:

www.waikoloabeachresort.com

You can double check.

Also, the page on each complex has an overview of its amenities, photos of the exterior, and in some though not all, you can double click the aerial photo and it will enlarge.

You can also go to a property management site where they lay out the complexes and even have resort maps and complex maps. Stuff you will rarely find in a VRBO ad. Even if you plan to use VRBO, use these tools to help get a sense of the location.

Mentioned in this post
Waikoloa Beach Resort
Waikoloa Beach Resort
289 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Canada
Level Contributor
9,450 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with condos on Kohala Coast

OTR,

The condos you list are all ground floor units....Is that your preference?

The Shores is the only complex of those you listed that has the on site tennis. That unit , though remodeled, still has CRT televisions!! That is a bit of a head scratcher for me.Flat screen TVs have been out for quite awhile now and are pretty affordable

The units' views appear to be limited or not photographed at all. The Shores and Vista have extremely generously sized Lanai. Limited views though from main level.

Vista has a wonderfully warm large heated pool...if that's of interest

The Beach Villas is the newest (5yrs old) complex of the lot, and closest to shops and restaurants.....but this unit has some concerning reviews.

The Vista and Shores were built roughly 20 yrs ago

When scoping out the various units....try not to rule out those that are a bit higher than your budget...like $225-250, as often with a stay greater than a week, the owner may be inclined to offer a discount from the posted rate. Ask them what their "best rate" would be for your dates of travel.

There is actually a Kolea unit availale for your dates ...ground floor with garden view.

http://www.vrbo.com/117447

Edited: 25 September 2013, 06:13
Mentioned in this post
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
250 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,153 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with condos on Kohala Coast

That Kolea unit is gorgeous.

It looked to me like the better rate does not start until April though.

$275 through March. ???

Such helpful analysis is the units Wanderlust!

Edited: 25 September 2013, 07:21
Mentioned in this post
250 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,153 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with condos on Kohala Coast

Of the units, not is the units. Stupid sneaky auto correct.

OTR
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
193 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with condos on Kohala Coast

Thank you Wanderlust. We do not have a preference for ground floor...that just seems to be what I'm finding, and I think we are going to have to increase our budget to at least 250. I'm also noticing that some of these units don't even have wifi! I will keep looking!