We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another happy Costco Travel customer

California
Level Contributor
882 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Another happy Costco Travel customer

First time I've used Costco Travel to rent a car. I had already reserved a car with Discount Hawaii Car Rental, as I've always been happy with them. However, after reading so many posts about travelers using Costco, I decided to see what they had to offer for a pickup in Kona and a drop-off in Hilo. I was pleasantly surprised that I could save $90 with them ($289 for 10 days). I think I got a good deal. Thanks, fellow TA posters.

Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another happy Costco Travel customer

great rate considering you have a drop off. Could be since you are going koa - Ito. I think a lot more folks go ITO-KOA so they could be looking for people to take the cars back.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,225 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another happy Costco Travel customer

Good deal BobandDi....we have been renting vehicles through Costco for a good while now, and appreciate the pricing.

Which agency are you going with? I know a Costco booking using Alamo and doing a KOA/ITO one way drop does not incur a fee....but doing it the other way does.Getting a free additional driver is a good perk as well....though you would have had through Discount Hawaii.

Do remember to check back for rate drops.I go directly to the car rental site and plug in my Costco discount code. Sometimes you can even double up and apply a paperless coupon.

I am not convinced that the majority of one way drops are ITO/KOA...The majority of Island visitors start their trips with a KOA arrival(and departure)......and an increasing number are doing an ITO drop off.

It would be an interesting statistic to review, given the increased routes into ITO from the Mainland. The volume of vehicles available for rental still remains significantly greater at KOA.

California
Level Contributor
882 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another happy Costco Travel customer

They put us with Alamo and, you're correct, no fee for dropping off in Hilo.

Elmira, Ontario
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Another happy Costco Travel customer

Wanderlust

How do you book Costco from Canada. I was on the Costco.com website and got to a sceen that said you must be a resident of the US to continue. I want to book on Costco because it's cheaper than our current rate with Discount Hawaii.

vancouver
Level Contributor
96 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another happy Costco Travel customer

Just go to costcotravel.com

Don't worry about the US Resident message.All of the car rental companies are happy to take your money.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,225 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another happy Costco Travel customer

I just go to the rental company website direct.....say Budget.ca/or.com

Punch in my dates and Costco BCD discount code....W852802 or W852800,and see what rates come up.

I will play around with various other non Costco codes I use as well...to see which will yield the best rate.

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another happy Costco Travel customer

Costco has been great to use the last few trips. they usually beat everyone for hotel, air and car deals.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,758 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another happy Costco Travel customer

So a Costco membership is not needed? I ask because I let mine expire some time ago.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another happy Costco Travel customer

As far as I know a membership number is necessary, however it doesn't have to be yours. I have booked vehicles for my extended family and used my number for all of them (and a non-family member). They just need a number.

You can book online without being a resident, easiest way is to phone them but you can do it online just select "without an account". I have asked all the car rental companies if being a resident is a must and they all say they don't care, it's just Costco's thing. If you are concerned, just call the number on Costcos car rental page, select which company you are booked with and ask them.

Edited: 28 September 2013, 01:10
Canada
Level Contributor
9,225 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another happy Costco Travel customer

As I mentioned in my previous post, I just go on the rental company's site.....I have booked dozens of vehicles this way. Not once have I booked on either Costco site.

KK, as far as proof of membership....they certainly don't require it when booking directly on the Budget site....just the discount code....no membership number.

For all the times I have picked up vehicles, I am not usually asked for proof of membership.....but it did happen once....can't remember where.

Edited: 28 September 2013, 01:40