We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!...Need Advice on BI trip

New York
Level Contributor
289 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help!...Need Advice on BI trip

We will be on the BI mid August 2014 for 8 nights. I am torn between the following:

a.) Staying at a Mauna Lani condo (probably Fairway or Palm Villa) for the full 8 nights and double-booking a night in Volcano mid week, worth it? Is it feasible to take the southern route one way and the northern on return or vice versa? This may not give us enough time to see Volcano though with too many stops. Or possibly doing the northern route to Akaka Falls on a separate day completely and take the southern route to Volcano for the overnight and Saddle Rd on return.

OR

b.) Staying 7 nights at a Mauna Lani condo, leave very early and head to Volcano for the 8th night and fly out late afternoon to Oahu the following day.

Any expert advice is welcomed!

California
Level Contributor
891 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help!...Need Advice on BI trip

I'm no expert, but instead of double booking, I'd go for your second option, except I'd spend two nights in the volcano area and fly out of Hilo.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,369 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help!...Need Advice on BI trip

Seconding BobandDi on Plan B with two nights in Volcano and flying out of ITO. Drive northern route Kohala-Volcano. (South is truck route.)

New York
Level Contributor
289 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help!...Need Advice on BI trip

So if we do 2 nights in Volcano, maybe we can take the northern route from Kohala with all the stops to Akaka Falls and then spend the whole next day in Volcano or is it recommended to spend the whole 2 days in the Volcano/Hilo area only?

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help!...Need Advice on BI trip

Stayed @ Hilton Waikoloa 5 times in the last few years (5 minutes from Mauni Lani Condo).

Below is how I have visited VNP and Hilo side.

First visit we drove to Volcano in the morning along Saddle Road. Went to VNP, drove Crater rim Drive, hiked the Kilauea Iki trail and then went into Hilo for dinner and headed down towards Pahoa Town to see the lava flow at night. (difficult walk on rocks at night to see some lava in the distance). We drove home the same night along the northern route during some heavy rain. I would not recommend this itinerary, but it is possible.

April 2013 we drove saddle road in the morning stopping for a few hours at Mauna Kea and to make the summit. Continued on to VNP visitor center and hiked Kilauea Iki trail and explored the park. This time we stayed in Volcano and ate dinner at Kilauea lodge. In the morning we drove to Hilo for Helicopter tour. After the tour we drove around Hilo Bay and detoured and many waterfalls on the way back to Kohala coast.

This was still an aggressive schedule, but staying the night in Volcano allowed us to do a lot more.

Hope the info helps, have a great trip.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,895 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help!...Need Advice on BI trip

Two nights is probably best. That way you can take your time driving there along the Hamakua Coast, stopping at Akaka Falls and the HTBG, and also stop for a while in the afternoon in Hilo to enjoy the Bayfront and Queen Liliuokalani gardens. I would stay in Volcano. The next day you'll have a full day in the Park. The last day book a late afternoon flight out divert into Puna before your flight out to enjoy the driving scenery there, and Kaimu at Kalapana which is a cool place.

Edited: 22 October 2013, 20:44
6. Re: Help!...Need Advice on BI trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2014, 06:20