We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

February Trip..where to go whale watching?

Michigan
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Topic
February Trip..where to go whale watching?

Family of 3 (myself, hubby & 17 yr old son) thinking of going to Hawaii in February. Heard it is the best time to watch whales all over Hawaii but want opinions on best island and location to do this. Want to go where the best weather is since February is also rain season. Would like to do other activities there too...don't have enough time to island hop.

Dolphin Discoveries
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling, Swim with Dolphins, Eco Tours
Kona Ocean Adventures
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling, Swim with Dolphins, Private Tours
Coral Reef Snorkel Adventures
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling, Swim with Dolphins
Hawaii Oceanic
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling, Swim with Dolphins, Eco Tours
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: February Trip..where to go whale watching?

Best/easiest island would be Maui. The humpbacks tend to congregate more in the Au'au Channel -- it's where the researchers go predominantly. The whales are around all of the islands in February though.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: February Trip..where to go whale watching?

Maui is the best, followed by the Kohala Coast of the Big Island. The best weather is always on the Kohala Coast of the Big Island which is consistently very dry year round.

How may nights do you have total?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: February Trip..where to go whale watching?

I fretted over the same questions before finally deciding on the Wailea area in south Maui. Had I not cared about seeing whales, the Kohala Coast would have been an easy choice.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: February Trip..where to go whale watching?

In February, there are certainly enough whales on the Kohala Coast to make a person happy! :-) I wouldn't choose between the two islands based solely on that, there's plenty of them to go around. Every year in February I can sometimes count dozens from the shoreline at my favorite whale watching spot, and they come in quite close in North Kona along the Kaupulehu/Hualalai shoreline.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: February Trip..where to go whale watching?

Shea is certainly correct, in fact, the Kohala Coast is part of the Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary. Spinner Dolphins and the rarer False Killer Whales are spotted there year-round.

In February you can't go wrong with either island.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,175 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: February Trip..where to go whale watching?

The near perfect weather of South Kohala on the Big Island and abundant shore viewing of the Humpbacks in February makes it a great choice.

We are frequent visitors to South Kohala in February....and the weather is one thing that never lets us down....perfect year after year.

7. Re: February Trip..where to go whale watching?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2014, 06:21