We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Quick Ode to the DE's

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
26 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
A Quick Ode to the DE's

We were on the Island of Hawaii from Oct 18-24 after a week stay in Maui. This was our second stay on Maui and our first on the Big Island. We stayed at the Fairways in the Mauna Lani Resort. It was a great place for the price (especially offseason) and we really enjoyed it. Everything that the DE's says about this resort area is correct. The coral in Makaiwa Bay was better then anything we saw in Maui including Honolua Bay and Ahihi-Kana'u reserve which was our best in Maui this time for snorkeling. Had a great walk in the fish ponds and all the historical sites in the area. The one cave were Hawaiians stayed 1000 ago was great. Very informative and well kept.

We were also there during a Full Moon so enjoyed the talk story. A great experience. Also snorkeled Mauna Kea beach, went to both farmers markets in Waimea(Kamuela), and had a great time watching cool sunsets at Hapuna and Manini'owali Beaches.

Sadly we had some swells while we were there so there was some visibility problems all along the Kohala Coast for a a lot of our stay. Also a tiger shark siting one day so the beaches "were closed" except for your own risk.

We did a great drive up to North Kohala and walked the Pololu Lookout and did the Hamakua Coast on the same day. Hiked the Waipi'o Valley and also visited Akaka Falls. Really great area. At the end of this excursion trip we took the Saddle Road from Hilo. The road is in great shape but it was raining as we started up the road to Mauna Kea and then fog was very heavy. For several miles we could barely see between the rain and fog. It was still daytime but I understand why the DE's caution you on why this road could be a risk at night. I don't know if I would try it.

On the way down on the other side when it was sunny again and I was enjoying the ride toward Waikoloa Village on Saddle Road and I made the ultimate rookie mistake. Did not check my speedometer and the County of Hawaii officer let me know that as he handed me a ticket. KK has warned multiple times about the cops and areas where they check for speeders. Listen to her.

My only regret is that I did not do the manta ray night snorkel. Hope to do it the next time I am on island. Reason for the title on my post is because if you read the top questions and lurk like I did for the past few months and you will get most of the answers you need for a visit to this wonderful island. It was a spectacular place. We did not go to the whole southern half of the island. When everyone says you need at least 10 days or so for this island they are right. As another poster stated earlier the airport kills your "aloha" spirit. Do not split time between two islands unless you have a lot of time. We should have stayed on BI the whole time. 6 full days is not enough. DE's and others are right about that.

This is actually a very good travel forum and I really enjoyed reading the last few months. Great to know I have an informative place to return when we come back next time.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Quick Ode to the DE's

Copperdesk,

that is wonderful of you to give us such a cool thank you. I am honored and appreciative.

Loved your trip report, which was full of good info. :)

Extremely sorry to hear about the ticket. Oh man, that sinking feeling. I doubt this will help, but Iʻve only received one speeding ticket in my life, and it was on the Saddle last summer. A decade driving in Hawaiʻi without a single citation, but did he give me a warning? No way, I still got a $135 ticket, and I really was not going fast (45 mph zone).

That was in a part that is now bypassed, but I hear they are stalking the new section. Apparently it is really easy to slip over the limit on the long downhill grade.

The fog and rain mix you mention -- yes, that is why Shea and I hesitate to recommend a nighttime trip to the VIS from the Hilo side. Instead we recommend the drive from the west, which is reliably dry. The fog is definitely even worse at night when headlights are in the mix.

Aside from that ticket, you did so much good stuff, it made me happy to read about it!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Quick Ode to the DE's

PS. If you would be so kind to post a little something about your Fairways stay in this Mauna Lani topic, I am trying to get suggestions on good rentals collected in one spot for people with VRBO overload.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g2219999-i24163-k6…

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,523 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A Quick Ode to the DE's

Aloha,

I'm don't know how the traffic court system works on the Island of Hawaii, but sometimes you can keep a speeding ticket off your record. It's worth an inquiry before paying it.

Mahalo for the TR.

Aloha

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,127 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Quick Ode to the DE's

Very nice and well-deserved compliments. Enjoyed your trip commentary, also.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
26 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Quick Ode to the DE's

I will add the information on our condo rental in the link you provided. Thanks for replying.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Quick Ode to the DE's

Thanks! :)

jet, they do not offer an option, But whether there is an option that can be searched out, I don't know. My ticket magnet younger son has never been able to do that. I sure would have liked that. Shea would know. Her law partnership handles traffic cases as part of its services.

Edited: 29 October 2013, 20:27
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,895 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Quick Ode to the DE's

Contesting a ticket here is almost always a losing proposition. The judges are for the most part former prosecutors and have zero sympathy, especially given the high traffic accident and fatality rates on our island. However at least one judge is giving a reprieve for one month on tickets acquired at the newly opened Saddle Road.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Quick Ode to the DE's

That's good to know!

I took jet's comment to refer to accepting the fine (not contesting), but keeping it off the driving record to avoid insurance rate hike and keeping record clean. Like in California you can attend traffic school to get that reprieve.

9. Re: A Quick Ode to the DE's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 04:18