We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Island vs Maui prices?

Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Topic
Big Island vs Maui prices?

Will be visiting both. Shopping at both and wondering how prices compare. Looking for souvenirs , jewelry, clothing, fun Hawaii items. What are your favorite shopping locations?

Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Island vs Maui prices?

Got lots of shopping ideas on Maui forum, maybe we should be sure to get our shopping done there?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,402 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Island vs Maui prices?

I would say save money for the Big Island too. Like I said, there is lots of interesting stuff on the Big Island. Itʻs more that the forum regulars arenʻt focused on shopping, whereas the Maui forum regulars love to talk about buying things.

The response to your topic doesnʻt say anything about whether there is good shopping, so much as it reflects the people who hang out in the two forums.

Big island merchants are very appreciative of visitors and customers who have money to shop in these hard times, trust me. But do venture outside of the areas that are set up around the big visitor accommodation centers, where the leases are high and the items may be high end (unless you want high end). If you want Gucci and Cartier, you can find it at the Kingsʻ Shops, but that is not what you asked for.

Itʻs fun to shop in small stores in small villages, and to talk story with the store owners. You will be blown away by how nice they are and not like high pressure sales people in the high lease stores.

Edited: 03 November 2013, 01:25
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,402 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Island vs Maui prices?

Hereʻs my list of small town places to shop, copied from my Maui forum post:

If a fair or festival is on, there will be lots of locally made items, although you still need to check. Jewelry, lava lavas, art and photo prints, T-shirts, Koa items, stained and fused glass, shells, carvings and etc. are some examples.

If there on the last weekend of the month, the Kona stroll attracts a lot of vendors. If no festival, next best is farmers' markets. We don't have a real swap meet scene, but recently they began one on one of the Sundays at the Hilo Farmers' Market. I haven't seen how it looks though. The Waimea FM is also very popular.

If you are in Puna on Sunday, the Maku'u market is one of the quirkiest you will find anywhere, and there are some secondhand stuff vendors. I like to buy old dishes.

The Volcano Art Center has a neat gallery.

Hawi and Kapa'au in North Kohala, Hilo old town, Honoka'a, Honomu, Holualoa, Kainali'u, Waimea, Pahoa, all have good shopping. I havenʻt been to Pahala or Naʻalehu recently, but those are possibilities too. The little port area of Kawaihae has some shops as well.

I am omitting all the real touristy shopping such as Kailua Kona and the two Waikoloa shopping centers. Those are obvious and I'm suggesting some slightly less obvious and lower rent venues.

The National Park bookstores/gift shops can be well priced and full of quality souvenirs such as books and clothing. The Pu'ukohola heiau in Kawaihae has a nice little shop with great A/C and clean restrooms to go with the extremely historic value of stopping there.

Go to www.Konaweb.com for a great island calendar and be sure to check back for newly added events as you approach your trip. Big Island Chronicle posts blog style articles on the east side events.

Maui is a shopaholic's paradise, but the Big Island is no slacker when it comes to artisans of all kinds, and they can't inflate their prices because there is less affluence on average.

Edited: 03 November 2013, 01:30
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,698 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Island vs Maui prices?

It was amazing the difference between the pricing in shops in Kohala and in Kailua -Kona! Same piece of art was over $200 more in the King's shops.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,402 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Island vs Maui prices?

The Kingsʻ Shops does not represent "Kohala" pricing, mamma. That is one shopping center that has decided to pursue the folks with the money to burn. It is only a small piece of the large variety of shopping in Kohala.

Kohala shopping ranges from Waikoloa to Kapaʻau, from Kawaihae to Waimea. Thatʻs a lot of territory and there is a ton of diversity.

I donʻt even bother with Kingsʻ Shops any more. The affordable Waikoloa Beach Resort shopping migrated to Queensʻ Marketplace next door when it opened in 2006.

LA
Level Contributor
10,509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Island vs Maui prices?

I really enjoy shopping at the Volcano Art Center in the Hawaiian Volcanoes National Park.

I treasure my lovely koa wood boxes. I often buy my Christmas presents there. Lovely jewelry, photography, ceramics.

Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Big Island vs Maui prices?

Thank you KamaainaK. This is exactly the info I was looking for. Will hit the village stroll on the 17th for sure! Love the local events and much prefer my dollars go to the "little guy" and not the chain. Like to try to support local bus as much as possible.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,186 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Big Island vs Maui prices?

Waimea (in South Kohala) has great shopping, lots of little shops featuring locally made items. I like the Gallery of Great Things but there are a good dozen shops throughout town. Not ticky tacky, mass produced tshirts and items made in China like in many Kailua Kona stores. Holualoa as mentioned is another great option with lovely galleries and local artists.

Honolulu
Level Contributor
48 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Big Island vs Maui prices?

Maui > Big Island for almost everything!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Big Island vs Maui prices?

Shopping is one of my least favourite activities; I must admit that up front. You may find the BI so amazing and full of interesting things to see and do that you begrudge spending any time shopping.

When we were in Maui, after attending the slack key guitar show my son was inspired to learn to play the ukelele. On the BI he bought a ukulele from a shop in Hilo that had a great selection. We enjoyed the art shop at VNP but did not buy anything there, although I was sorely tempted. Beautiful things there.

On our last day on the island we had some time to kill after checking out so we ventured up to the King's and Queen's shops. I don't remember now which stores were in which shopping centre - in my memory they've been conflated into one. There was a vendor there in a tiny space who was selling local art that was produced by someone in her family. Certain colours of the ink used in these sketches were made on island via traditional processes, (browns/black), while others were commercial inks ,she said. We bought a large honu sketch in a beautiful Koa frame sketched with the traditionally-produced inks; my son bought a smaller sketch of a manta ray sketched with commercially produced ink (to get the colour he wanted), also in a Koa wood frame. These were shipped home to us and arrived in good time. We treasure them; they are lovely reminders of our vacation in paradise.