We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car wanted for rent Dec 28th - Jan 3rd on Big Island

Boston...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Car wanted for rent Dec 28th - Jan 3rd on Big Island

I would like to rent a car for the following dates - Dec 28th 2013 - Jan 3rd 2014 on Big Island. Please let me know, if you have or know of some options.

Thanks in advance!

Evgenia

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,540 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car wanted for rent Dec 28th - Jan 3rd on Big Island

Perhaps tell us who you have already checked with . . .

Did you try these guys?

http://www.aloharents.com/

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,106 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car wanted for rent Dec 28th - Jan 3rd on Big Island

Or are you a Costco member? If you are, make sure you check their website as well.

It is a very busy time, anywhere in Hawaii, and I know that some islands run out of rental cars during the Christmas season.

Welcome to Trip Advisor too!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car wanted for rent Dec 28th - Jan 3rd on Big Island

Welcome to TA! You are late to the dance for rental cars over the holiday weeks. Do check all the site's mentioned but be prepared to look for shuttles or taxi's. The Bi is especially prone to run out of cars.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car wanted for rent Dec 28th - Jan 3rd on Big Island

Another possibility: http://www.hawaiidrive-o.com/

Boston...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car wanted for rent Dec 28th - Jan 3rd on Big Island

Thank you everybody for your advice! Unfortunately I checked with all those options and realized how late I am. I guess I am looking for a local who would rent out his/her car to me. Also possible only in Kona Dec 28th-Jan 1st.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,106 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car wanted for rent Dec 28th - Jan 3rd on Big Island

That's a hard one. The issue with insurance would have to be checked VERY carefully. Not just to protect yourself, but for the person renting to you as well.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,403 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car wanted for rent Dec 28th - Jan 3rd on Big Island

An individual couldn't legally rent their car to you for insurance reasons and this is not an island you want to be driving around without insurance. Generally most car insurance policies have an "omnibus clause," that will cover any driver that is a family member who lives with you, or your dependent children away at school, so long as they have your permission to drive your vehicle, but not strangers.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,603 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car wanted for rent Dec 28th - Jan 3rd on Big Island

Yeah, renting from a local won't work.

In Hilo there is Aiona Motors, but Kona -- U Haul trucks, Harper's, those are the last we heard about from last year.

Have you tried inputting non-airport locations? There are a few like at the Courtyard, Fairmont, Hilton, in town Enterprise.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,603 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car wanted for rent Dec 28th - Jan 3rd on Big Island

Also see if by changing your date range to part of your stay you can find something.

Canada
Level Contributor
8,963 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car wanted for rent Dec 28th - Jan 3rd on Big Island

You are going to want to have one of the vehicles from the major agencies.....Alamo, Avis, Budget, Hertz etc....

Here is a list of the local telephone numbers (808) at KOA for the rental car desks. "Perhaps" they may have a solution for you.

hawaii.gov/koa/…car-rentals

There ia also the possibility that as the date approaches, folks that have "held" more than one reservation will cancel the one(s) they are not using......thereby freeing up some vehicles.Also, those that have forgotten about their extra bookings tend to cancel in the days leading up to their trip after receiving the reminder email that the agencies tend to send out these days.

I would definitely check upon arrival locally at the rental desks directly if you still don't manage to secure anything before then. You never know sometime you can luck out.

This has been a problem on all of the Islands for at least the past 5 years, where the prices for the holiday period continue to rise like crazy ( $1,000/wk compact)....until they totally sell out. This usually occurs much earlier than this date....somewhere in early Nov .

Renting a vehicle from a local or resident is not an option.....for the reasons mentioned above. I know that the private insurance that I carry that covers rental cars does not provide coverage if the vehicle is not from a traditional rental car agency.