We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauna'oa Beach Access

Dawson Creek, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Kauna'oa Beach Access

Kauana'oa Beach (aka Mauna Kea Beach) is my favorite beach/place on any of the Hawaiian islands, and we stay in Waikoloa as opposed to Kona, so that our chances of actually getting on this beach are better.......my question is what time have people been arriving in the morning to get a spot in their limited parking lot? We were given the parking access a couple of times last January, but I can't remember what time we were arriving before the passes were all gone. I know that it is the luck of the draw, and some days fill up faster than others, but we want to make sure that we are early enough to get in. Also, we are coming mid-January, so the Christmas rush should be over, which will help our cause!!!

Thanks in advance.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,225 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauna'oa Beach Access

Getting to the beach by 0930 hrs will generally see a spot for you.....but of course, nothing guaranteed.

While mid- January sees most of the Holiday season visitors gone...there are always more such as yourself coming to enjoy the warm climate......not to mention the many residents and locals that enjoy the beach.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,758 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauna'oa Beach Access

Weekdays are better than weekends, as more residents go on the weekend.

I don't have that time zone advantage that helps me get to the beach early, so I do not know how early from personal experience, but on the forum trip reports people often say 9 AM worked but just barely.

I always go later after people have left, but my general luck with Kauna'oa is poor. It was great when Mauna Kea was closed after the quake, easy access.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,684 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauna'oa Beach Access

We were there week before last and 9 a.m. was barely early enough so I'd say shoot for 9. We went about 9:15 one day and all spaces were gone. Both times were during the week (not weekend).

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,843 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauna'oa Beach Access

I haven't been able to get a pass at Kauna'oa in a long time unless I show up before 9am or after about 1pm, and even that's hit or miss. I often just go to Hapuna and walk the shoreline trail over, but that's no fun if you're schlepping stuff.

Dawson Creek, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauna'oa Beach Access

Thank you all for the responses.......We will try and be at the beach before 9. Definitely worth getting up a bit early and having coffee and breakfast on the beach!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,843 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauna'oa Beach Access

If you strike out, you can go to Waialea or Hapuna just about five minutes away.

7. Re: Kauna'oa Beach Access

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2014, 06:18