We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation between my hotel & Airport Island of Hawaii

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation between my hotel & Airport Island of Hawaii

May I be informed how to take the cheapest way for the transportation, such as shuttle, public bus, or walking (within 10 minutes) for the below:

Kona Seaside Hotel (Kona) between and Big Island -Kona Airport, HI (KOA)

Wild Ginger Inn Hotel & Hostel (Hilo) between and Hilo Airport, HI (ITO)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,919 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation between my hotel & Airport Island of Hawaii

The bus here does not serve the airport. In Hilo, you will need to take a cab, maybe $15.

Leslie, you might use your earlier topics about transportation and add on so people can see all the earlier advice you got.

Wild Ginger is in an awful location. I would never stay there. Bring heavy duty earplugs.

From KOA you could use Speedi Shittle or a cab. It will cost more because the airport is way out of town.

But you're not flying into two airports, surely?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation between my hotel & Airport Island of Hawaii

Thanks for KamaainaK

May I be informed the website of hiring the cab or Speedi Shittle from/to Hilo Airport, HI (ITO) and Big Island -Kona Airport, HI (KOA) ?

I will fly into Kona Airport, HI (KOA), then go to Hilo by public bus and finally fly out from Hilo Airport, HI (ITO).

Please comment my above itinerary ?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,911 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation between my hotel & Airport Island of Hawaii

You can just get a cab upon arrival at KOA. But here is the website for Speedishuttle. They do not service Hilo according to their website:

http://www.speedishuttle.com/

Are you aware of the very limited stops and hours for the bus between Kona and Hilo? Here is the schedule website if you haven't seen it already:

www.heleonbus.org/schedules-and-maps

LA
Level Contributor
10,107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation between my hotel & Airport Island of Hawaii

1. The Kona- Hilo bus runs three times a day and does NOT stop at the Airport.

2. Two am departures are at 5:45 and 6:30 am. The evening departure is at 4:00 pm.

You need to really look at that schedule and compare it with your flight times. There is also restriction on baggage.

heleonbus.org/schedules-and-maps/kona-hilo-b…

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,919 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation between my hotel & Airport Island of Hawaii

Leslie,

I do not know of a website for all the cabs. They are different businesses.

Run a web search like Google for "Hilo cab" and you will find the companies. I did the same this week when I needed one.

The rough quote I gave you was based on the fare I paid using a cab from the airport and where the meter was when we crossed the Wailuku River, which is right before Wild Ginger. The cab company estimated our whole fare would be around $20, and it was $33, quite a lot more than what I expected. Their estimate is not binding; the meter is the final word. Plus tip.

You should rethink staying at Wild Ginger. I know it is cheap, but I do not think you will be happy there at all.

You are coming all the way from Hong Kong to the Big Island, and I would not do it if you can only afford to stay in a dump. You should look at the Hilo Hawaiian. It is an average hotel but on the water and next to beautiful gardens. It is close to the airport and bus stops. I doubt you can even catch the bus from Wild Ginger.

Wild Ginger is also not near any places to eat, but Hilo Hawaiian is.

If you want a hostel, the Hilo hostel downtown is in walking from many business and places to eat and shop, and the main bus stop. Also look at Pakalana Inn, in downtown. Cheap but convenient near farmerʻs market. Wild Ginger faces the main highway and you will get loud truck noise all night, and the shrieking frogs are at their worst there.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation between my hotel & Airport Island of Hawaii

Thanks for your kindly advice as the above !

7. Re: Transportation between my hotel & Airport Island of Hawaii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2014, 05:18