We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camera: SLR or small point and shoot

Fairhope, Alabama
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Camera: SLR or small point and shoot

We are planning our first trip to Hawaii soon and I wondered (if it even matters) whether to haul my SLR and lenses with me to capture the beauty or just settle for the more convenient point-and-shoot camera. Any thoughts?

* I hope I posted in the right forum, this is a general Hawaii travel question (thx)

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camera: SLR or small point and shoot

pankers22, I've cycled around on this, over the years. I used to travel with my DSLR, lenses, filters, plus a point-n-shoot with an underwater housing. It was crazy. After a few trips, I realized that my DSLR was taking time away from enjoying my vacation, so I stopped. Now, I only carry an Olympus Tough TG-1, which is a waterproof point-n-shoot. It's good for macro, landscape, and underwater. I lost the telephoto capability that my DSLR had, but I seldom miss that (with the one exception of when we saw a family of monk seals swimming 50 yards off-shore).

I truly believe in the idea that the best camera is the one you have on me. My point-n-shoot is small enough to always carry, so I take more pictures then I did, when I had the DSLR.

All the best!

New England
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camera: SLR or small point and shoot

I too have struggled with how many and which cameras. Two years ago I bought a Nikon Coolpix that has a 36 zoom, but does not have interchangeable lens. I love it. Then I got a new purse so I could carry that. However, I still sometimes leave it behind for my old point and shoot.

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camera: SLR or small point and shoot

Depends upon your style. If you use your DSLR on AUTO, essentially as a point and shoot, then leave the DSLR at home and use the P&S. If you plan to exercise the capabilities of the DSLR, and invest the effort to do so, then bring the DSLR. Not many photographers would be happy making do withe a P&S. Again, the decision is an easy one that lows from your style.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camera: SLR or small point and shoot

The easiets solution is a smart phone w/ a great camera. Recently I have purchased a Samsung Galaxy S3 w/ 8 megapixel main camera and includes movie funtion as well in case you want to capture the motion or feel of a water fall or have your friend capture you doing the zip line or what ever. The built in camera has anit shake and a macro setting as well plus a zoom function too The added advantage to that is you will get internet (assuming a strong signal) and GPS navigation as well. It has a built in timer then buy one of those phone holder tripods if doing "selfies" on the beach. The built in flash makes for a pretty good flashlight when needed. The big down side is you better get a car recharge accessory w/ it cause its a battery hog.

In the case of my new smart phone I have added a on board 32 megapixal memory card and my camers setting is controlled to store images there. When I get home I just hook up the USB cable to download to my home computer.

One of my new favorite things to do is to plug in to Pandora radio and put it on Hawaiin music setting so I can listend to some of the new Hawaiian artists (hard to do now that Borders book stores on the island are no more).

If you are wanting to take "professional" quality photos then an SLR is the way to go but be careful the moisture and water on the Big Island can ruin things. Not to mention banging your expenive lenses on a rock when hiking. My favotiret macro lense was never the same after using it in moist condtions. In the case of a smart phone use the same precaution (store in at least a baggy when not in use or you can get water proof cases as well).

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camera: SLR or small point and shoot

I think it depends on what you plan to do with your photos, but the fact you've asked the question is an indication that you'd probably be fine without your DSLR. I wouldn't think of going without mine, but unlike grandeau, photography is one of my favorite vacation activities.

* You actually posted this on the Island of Hawaii (aka the Big Island) forum so you might repost on the broader Hawaii forum if you don't like the answers you're getting. ;-)

Edited: 07 January 2014, 22:30
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camera: SLR or small point and shoot

I have too cycled through the cameras...my thought is IF this is your first time to Hawaii haul the DSLR and lenses.... it is worth it for sure. After a few trips now I only bring my Panasonic Lumix underwater camera and this past trip (over Christmas) I only took it in the water once with me....

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camera: SLR or small point and shoot

I agree with Thrumylens that it would depend on your level of interest in photography while on vacation. I have a Canon SR1, the newer smaller DSLR and a wonderful lens that allows me to zoom distances. I am not an expert and am learning more each trip. So I use that and the iPhone. I agree that the more you go, maybe the less interested some folks might be in photos. Not me. I always find new things to photograph. Deb

Dallas
Level Contributor
23,512 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camera: SLR or small point and shoot

I have settled on a small Canon digital that has a pretty good zoom and takes great pictures. After many years of carrying bigger cams with filters, lenses and even a telescoping tripod, I just carry the small one now.

One thing I do miss though is a polarizer filter which really enhances the colors and especially of water shots. So, I decided one time to hold my polarized sunglasses up to the lens of my digital cam and got incredible results that way. Now, I use that technique frequently on water and beach shots and get just what I am looking for.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,074 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camera: SLR or small point and shoot

The polarized filter is the main thing my DSLR offers over my iPhone camera. I have stopped using the P&S because the phone camera is actually better, and it does zoom now. Iʻm carrying the phone anyway, so when I travel light that is my choice.

I would take the DSLR if you have love for it and photography, but donʻt plan to take it with you to enjoy the beach, or the stress of keeping it secure is too worrisome. Take it out on road trips when you are willing to babysit it, and donʻt take more lenses than you can carry in a bag that you donʻt mind schlepping with you when you leave the car.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,074 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Camera: SLR or small point and shoot

PS. For any future general Hawaiʻi questions, do go up one level to the Hawaii forum, which is the all island state forum. This is for Big Island questions. Obviously the subject line grabbed the eye of various posters who love cameras, but some other travel question might not.