We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need more detail about manta ray night snorkel

Peterborough
Level Contributor
294 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Need more detail about manta ray night snorkel

I need TA's to give me more info regarding Jack's night snorkel. What happens between 5 and returning at 8:30 - 9:30? How far ahead should you take sea sick pill if you are concerned that you might get ill. I get cold easily. How long are you actually in the water? Should we have a big meal at noon or should we eat light? Yes I am a little nervous but knowing details helps me out and I understand it is a tour of a lifetime.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need more detail about manta ray night snorkel

We did the manta ray snorkel in April, but not with Jack's, so I can answer a few of your questions.

We left at around 5, it took us about 20-25 minutes to get to the site, then you get instructions on what to do/not do in the water, they served some snacks/drinks, we put on wet-suits and then went in once it was dark. We were probably at the site for close to an hour before we went into the water. We spent about half an hour to 45 minutes in the water. If there are divers in the group, they go in first and come out last, so a bit of waiting for them. When we got back in the boat, they offered more snacks, then 20-25 minutes back to the dock. (This might be different than Jack's, but there were numerous boats at the site that we went to, and the procedure seemed to be the same with all.)

I get seasick easily, so I take a non-drowsy anti nausea pill before the boat leaves the dock. I wouldn't eat a heavy meal that day at all - try to eat non-greasy/non-fatty foods - i.e. easily digested foods, but I find it's better to have something in my stomach - so a regular lunch and a snack before you go. Plain crackers are about the only thing I'll eat on board if it's a bumpy ride, and I find that they actually help when feeling a bit nauseous.

Bring clothes to keep warm after the trip (something you can put on over a wet bathing suit.). Our boat had towels for everyone, but I brought one too.

Hopefully Jack's has some full wetsuits so that you can wear one of those instead of a shortie.

Enjoy - it's an amazing experience!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,456 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need more detail about manta ray night snorkel

Having battled seasickness my whole life (and that's a problem since I worked as a dive master!) I can tell you that the best strategy is to start medicating about ten hours before you get on the boat to get the proper blood level of the anti nausea meds. Also you might be tempted to not eat before but actually it's better to have eaten than have an empty stomach. Bring a bag of ginger snaps or crystallized ginger and munch on it, and drink plenty of water throughout the day.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
227 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need more detail about manta ray night snorkel

I'd definitely go for a fullsize wetsuit too! I don't usually get cold quickly in the water, but I was wearing a full size and my teeth were chattering at the end. Bring some warm clothes to wear on the way back.

I'm also prone to seasickness and if I remember correctly I took one pill early or the night before and then another shortly before we left (basically whatever it said on the packaging). There's a little café/restaurant by the harbor called Bite Me where we stopped for dinner that has amazing fish taco's. I was worried it would be a problem eating so close before heading out but it went fine even though it was quite rocky once they moored the boat.

Have fun! It was one of the best experiences of my life :D

Peterborough
Level Contributor
294 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need more detail about manta ray night snorkel

What is the method that Jack's dive locker gets people in and out of the ocean? [some cats in Barbados lower a staircase for this purpose]

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,456 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need more detail about manta ray night snorkel

There's a ladder.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,197 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need more detail about manta ray night snorkel

Jack's has a separate tour that is just snorkelers. I would recommend it. You show up early at their shop (and you can stop by, earlier in the day, if that is more convenient) to be fitted with a wetsuit. Tell them you get cold and they'll give you a thicker one. My wife is always cold, but they suited her out so well that she was the last one to exit the water, staying in longer than I could.

If you're staying in Kohala, you'll want to drive your car to the pier, to save yourself at least a half hour, compared to taking the shuttle from Jack's store.

7. Re: Need more detail about manta ray night snorkel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 07:17