We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairways vs Golf Villas vs Palm Villas

Yakima, Washington
Level Contributor
284 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Fairways vs Golf Villas vs Palm Villas

We are trying to plan a trip to Mauna Lanai Feb 2015 and would like an opinion on Fairways, Golf Villas or Palm Villas. There will be four adults and one child who will almost be 2 yrs by then. It seems like the 2Br units at Fairways are a little bigger. Is Fairways enough closer to the beach to make a difference? Thanks for the help.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,134 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fairways vs Golf Villas vs Palm Villas

The Fairways are actually the furthest from both Makaiwa and Honokaope, the two good snorkel beaches. It's on the Fairmont (north) side of the resort, so it's closer to the Fairmont's beach, Pauoa, but of the three beaches that one would be my least favorite. However, even though you can walk to Makaiwa (and the Beach Club) from the Palm Villas and even the Golf Villas (although that's a long, hot walk), you may want to just do the short drive anyway, especially from the Golf Villas, because all of the ML condos come with a pass to access the gated parking lot at the beach at Makaiwa, and that may appeal you more than walking with beach stuff.

You really can't go wrong with any of the three but I prefer the Palm Villas because it's the shortest and nicest walk to Makaiwa through the fishponds, abuts the historic preserve, and I like the landscaping and feel of it the best. The Fairways are (or certainly seem like) a larger complex and is in a slightly busier area of the resort, the Golf Villas the most isolated. The Palm Villas strike the best balance IMO. If you look at all the resort maps and links in the Top Question about the Mauna Lani resort, you'll see what I mean.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fairways vs Golf Villas vs Palm Villas

We stayed in the Palm Villas a few months ago, in one of the units overlooking the historic. We'd go back in a heartbeat. As Shea stated, you can easily walk to Makaiwa from there, but if you're planning to spend time at the beach, you'll want to drive. So from the point of access to the beach(es), it really makes little difference which of the three complexes you choose. As for Palm Villas, we found the complex surprisingly quiet, and with the location of our unit, reasonably private. Very low key and laid back compared to some other places we've stayed in the islands. After our stay there, we went to Maui for a week at Westin Kaanapali Resort Villas, where we found more people in the pool at any point in time than we saw in the entire week in the lovely Palm Villas pool.

By the way,

Level Contributor
210 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fairways vs Golf Villas vs Palm Villas

Not sure why the Mauna Lani Villages seldom comes up when people are looking for recommendations but I would highly recommend either for families or couples wanting to share. They are incredibly spacious townhouses that are totally private, no sound issues with your neighbours, private lanais with outdoor kitchens and small yards for kids to enjoy. It is the closest to the Mauna Lani Shops which is so handy for picking up groceries or strolling over to the restaurants. It is an easy walk to The Fairmont or Mauna Lani Bay and yes you could enjoy a healthy walk to the beach if you wanted but if you are packing coolers, beach toys, etc. you would likely drive over to Makaiwa. I may be wrong but my understanding is that it may be one of the few resorts that actually heats their pool area in the winter months and has an excellent gym area, Wouldn't stay anywhere else!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,984 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fairways vs Golf Villas vs Palm Villas

We were at the Fairways last March and really enjoyed the complex. I might look at Palm Villas next time, only because they are across from the tennis courts, which we used almost daily. Driving to the beach from Fairways only took a few minutes.

Re unit size - the Fairways has 2 sizes of 2-bedroom units. The description and floor plans are in this link: www.stanfordcarr.com/maunalani_plana.htm We had a 'Plan A' unit which would a good layout for your group, especially if the den off of the master bedroom has a pull out couch in it (which is what our unit had.)

Canada
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fairways vs Golf Villas vs Palm Villas

You really can't go wrong with any of the properties you suggest.....all are within a lovely resort.

A quick hop in the car puts you at the Makaiwa Bay parking lot for a terrific beach and snorkeling.

Fairways is in close proximity to the "shoppes" where there is a market and a few restaurant choices.

We have stayed in a 3BR plus loft unit at Golf Villas unit and had plenty of room....top notch accommodation. ......great partial ocean view.

The complexes have varying views, and it all depends what is important to you. Most units have an on Lanai BBQ....really handy...

Consider KaMilo...which is another terrific complex within Mauna Lani Resort..

Yakima, Washington
Level Contributor
284 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fairways vs Golf Villas vs Palm Villas

Thank you all for your help. I thought it would be hard to go wrong with any of the three and for some reason had not checked Villages. I will look into it. The units at Fairways which I have been most interested in have the sitting area off the master. That seems to be a nice feature. Once again thanks for the help.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,984 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fairways vs Golf Villas vs Palm Villas

You're welcome. One thought about the den - it's a long ways from the kitchen/living area, so for your child's naps, early bedtimes, if you want to be within hearing distance, it might mean being confined to the upstairs yourself (unless you're bringing a monitor.) The smaller floor plan has a main floor bedroom, but no separate area for the 2 yr old to sleep. Not sure if the layouts at the Palms or Golf Villas might be more suitable?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,134 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fairways vs Golf Villas vs Palm Villas

The Villages is about ten years old and the townhouses are huge, plus I think they all or most have private small pools. but there are fewer units available to rent and at around $300/nt or more there are no ocean views when you can get ocean view at the Point or the Terrace. But as mentioned the size and pool would be a huge selling point. There would be no reason not to consider it. Truthfully there are no bad choices within the Mauna Lani IMO.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,134 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fairways vs Golf Villas vs Palm Villas

Btw I'm pretty sure all of the condo complexes at the Mauna Lani heat their pools, but if anyone has stayed in one that wasn't, pipe on up....

Yakima, Washington
Level Contributor
284 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fairways vs Golf Villas vs Palm Villas

Villages looks great but the price tag is a little above our budget. I do like the location of Palm Villas but if we will most likely drive to the beach, may not make much difference. After checking further in to Palm Villas, the fewer units in the complex may be a real positive especially with regard to number of people in using the common areas. The pool looks of similar size to Fairways and Golf.