We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manta ray night snorkel

oregon
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Manta ray night snorkel

Have family who was asking which is the best. Anyone who has recently done a night manta ray snorkel I'd appreciate hearing your experiences. Thanks!

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manta ray night snorkel

We have always gone to the Keauhou site with Sea Paradise. The site doesn't see the numbers that Garden eel cove does but the boat ride is nothing and they have a manta guarantee so that's why we go early in the trip so we can reschedule if need be. As far as I know none of the GEC trips offer a guarantee which is fine when the manta's are around. But I get the daily manta reports and they do go through dry spells when there is no manta's for days and many end up at the Keauhou site.

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
914 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manta ray night snorkel

We used Big Island Divers. My son & hubby did the 2-tank twilight manta ray dive, and I did the snorkeling part. We loved it!!

http://www.bigislanddivers.com/

I also recommend Kona Divers for this dive. We had scheduled 2 other dives with them, and wanted to add the Manta Ray dive, but they were booked.

www.konadivingcompany.com/Pages/default.aspx

I have heard very good things about Jack's Diving locker, although I do not have first hand experience using them.

http://www.jacksdivinglocker.com/

Edited: 03 February 2014, 21:13
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,133 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manta ray night snorkel

We had a great trip with Sea Paradise.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,915 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manta ray night snorkel

I much prefer the airport site, you'll have a better shot at seeing more mantas but do check a week or so before you come and see what different operators at each site are reporting. I like Jack's the best because they pioneered the research on the Kona mantas and have an excellent videographer and equipment, but all of the operators mentioned on this thread are solid choices. I think almost all operators at this point are offering a guarantee, in the sense that if you don't see any mantas you get another trip free but it varies by what kind of trip you're taking so you will want to double check.

oregon
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manta ray night snorkel

Thanks everyone! I will pass along the suggestions.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Manta ray night snorkel

Jack's give you a standby pass if no mantas show up. It works the same way as an airline standby so you get on if someone cancels or there is space on the boat. There were 17 people on the standby list the night that we went out.

It's not transferable but doesn't expire.

N. Indiana
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Manta ray night snorkel

We went with Jack's last Friday and it was INCREDIBLE! Mantas everywhere! Jack's crew really takes care of you as a customer. You are treated as family. We encountered dolphins almost as soon as we left the harbor. What an enjoyable addition to an already unforgettable event. Few things I've ever done can rival this for adventure and excitement. You will love it.

oregon
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manta ray night snorkel

Sounds like they are going with Jacks. Thanks to all for the recommendations.

9. Re: Manta ray night snorkel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2015, 05:26