We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale sightings?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Whale sightings?

We arrived on the Big Island on Sunday and haven't seen any whales from land. Last year at this time it seemed to be "whale soup." Anyone seen them here or on Maui (where we go next)?? Mahalo....

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale sightings?

Hi

Just saw some whales breaching today while having breakfast in Kona.

No extra charge,

Kona
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale sightings?

Where are you staying and/or watching for them? We're seeing them all up and down the coast!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,347 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale sightings?

I think you just need to scan the ocean longer. 15-20 minutes. You will see them.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,848 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale sightings?

I've been seeing them every day for weeks. Today from Honokaope Bay at the Mauna Lani we saw about a dozen. Yesterday at Hualalai we watched several breach for more than an hour.

N. Indiana
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale sightings?

We batted 100% on our whale watching tries. Plenty of the gentle giants all along the west coast. Sometimes we just pulled off on gravel roads from 270 or 19 for excellent viewing. We also had great viewing from Kapa'a Beach Park, Lapakahi State Historical Park (a fascinating place, and contrary to the Reviled guide book, the Ranger there could not have been more pleasant and informative), and several other spots farther north.

Try pulling off the highway if you see other cars. We were able to meet many great people who were enjoying the whale sightings like we were. One of the best free activities there is.

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale sightings?

Very cool! I arrive on March 1st and will be there until the 10th. Will the whales still be around at that time or will I be too late?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,848 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale sightings?

There generally still are plentiful signings in early March.

South East England
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale sightings?

I have to say I'm sad that we aren't arriving until 16th April. I love a good whale-watching session. Until we move to Canada last year I had never seen a whale in real life

N. Indiana
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale sightings?

Don't give up, and don't be sad! Yes, you're arriving toward the end of whale season, but hope is not lost. There are always stragglers hanging around after most have left.

Read the plethora of posts that that will excite you about all the life-changing things you will experience on the Orchid Isle. Regardless how well you plan, you won't come close to exhausting all the incredible sights and activities that await you. You have three months to prepare yourself for the trip of a lifetime. Dwell on the aforementioned and your vacation will sparkle!

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,670 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Whale sightings?

There were several off the coast of the Sheraton at Kaeuhou Bay. Big splashes that you could see from the shore! The whale watch boat tour we were on also were roaming around those waters. It's probably a coincidence, but mornings seemed better.

In truth though, the ones I saw in Alaska in July were amazing. Being on a small cruise for a week in the Inside Passage, with the specific intent of looking for whales probably helped! We saw a pod of orca, too. Truly fascinating!