We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report for big island's arrival and Day 1

Peterborough
Level Contributor
324 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report for big island's arrival and Day 1

Our flight was late arriving g for our trip to Kona. After having some difficulty finding Costco for some lunch at 3:15, we finally headed north to Mauna Lani. It was pretty easy to find. Thanks to the forum we knew that there is a Foodland at the Mauna Lani Shops. I had been hoping that we could do a walk about before dinner and see the sunset but by the time we had unpacked the car sunset had passed. DH BBQ'd Costco steaks and they were really really good. We finally found the correct gate for the pool key and had a short swim and sit in the hot tub before it closed at 9.

First full day

We were so lucky with the weather. No rain or fog on Saddle Rd. We had some difficulty navigating through Hilo but asked at a gas station and found Hwy. 11. Volcano and VNP were well marked. No rain and quite a bit of sunshine. Beside the Visito Centre in a separate building is a gift/crafts and art by locals that is quite impressive. Some items are quite costly but unique and beautiful.

We went to the visitor centre>Jaggar Museum>Crater Road>Kilauea iki Trailhead Lookout>Thurston Lava Tube >end do Crater Rim Road. We thought that the lava tube was really neat [but you might want to wear a hat for the drips] and the rain forest plants were awesome. Our one night stay is a just out of Volcano. It is nice just like the photos. It was a little tricky to find but we made certain that we followed his directions in the daytime. Thanks to forum we packed a cooler with water and food to get us through until we return to Mauna Lani. We found a large Caesar salad with chicken and fixings at Costco. This will make it easy to serve up and return to the park for the volcanic glow at either jaguar museum or the lookout for the steam vents.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
The Shops At Mauna Lani
The Shops At Mauna Lani
195 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kilauea Lodge
Kilauea Lodge
1,164 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,248 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report for big island's arrival and Day 1

Were you just hopping over from another island? I can't imagine a long flight on arrival day followed by a long car trip on the first full day. Hope to read in future installments that you have found time to enjoy the lovely Mauna Lani resort area. (Then again, it is YOUR vacation...not mine. We all have different likes and styles)

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,404 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report for big island's arrival and Day 1

Thanks for the report .. it brings back some great reminders of our trip to the BI last spring ... and also a reminder that it's time to start thinking about planning another trip there :) Looking forward to hearing more!

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,531 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report for big island's arrival and Day 1

>>> I had been hoping that we could do a walk about before dinner and see the sunset but by the time we had unpacked the car sunset had passed.

This is why I say to go to the lodgings first and forget Costco. I value a sunset over the ocean above all else.

But it sounds like you were pleased with your Costco finds. :)

The weather over here was simply awesome today. It was the first nice day of the week. Your timing is marvellous!

LA
Level Contributor
11,347 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report for big island's arrival and Day 1

Nice report. I love the part about a short swim and sitting in the hot tub on the night you arrive. That really starts the relaxation!

The Volcano Art Center is the gift/craft shop you mention. I love visiting that place. They have some lovely woodwork pieces and artwork. I love looking at the pricey stuff, but I can always find nice presents for family at home. One year I bought all my Christmas presents there and wrapped them in wonderful Sig Zane prints. I was very popular that year!

Edited: 20 February 2014, 04:48
Mentioned in this post
Volcano Art Center
Volcano Art Center
193 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,531 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report for big island's arrival and Day 1

The Volcano Art Center gift shop is next door to the VNP Visitorʻs Center? When did this happen? Last time I went to the Art Center, it was in Volcano Village (towards the golf course). Iʻm all confused now.

Mentioned in this post
Volcano Art Center
Volcano Art Center
193 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Volcano Village Lodge
Volcano Village Lodge
734 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
LA
Level Contributor
11,347 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report for big island's arrival and Day 1

The shop/gallery is in HVNP, just north of the Visitor Center. Easy to walk to from the Visitor center

The administrative offices and the Nialani Campus are in Volcano Village.

Mentioned in this post
Volcano Village Lodge
Volcano Village Lodge
734 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,531 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report for big island's arrival and Day 1

Thank you Pareo!

I typically drive past the Visitor Center area when I go there.

The last time I went to the VAC in the Village, it was to see about a workshop. There were items exhibited and for sale there, so I thought that was the public interface. My bad.

Peterborough
Level Contributor
324 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report for big island's arrival and Day 1

Yes we had visited Kauai and we were coming from Maui. It did seem a little rough to get up the first morning but very few places offer only one night stay in Volcano at this years busy season. We loved it and the weather was only rainy and a little fog for about 5 miles on Saddle Road.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Saddle Road
Saddle Road
3,195 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
9. Re: Trip report for big island's arrival and Day 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2015, 05:20