We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaiian Sand...Bad Luck!!!

Louisville KY
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hawaiian Sand...Bad Luck!!!

So my husband and I took a trip to Hawaii back in 2005, while on a day trip to the Big Island we stopped off at a black sand beach...while we were there we bought a postcard that had a little baggie of black, and green sand attached. We had heard it was bad luck to bring sand back home from Hawaii, but figured since we paid for it maybe Pele wouldn't curse us. We got home a few days later detached the sand from the postcard we had purchased and the sand got lost in a box since we moved soon after...we have had so much bad luck ever since this trip and really didn't connect the two until recently we were doing some spring cleaning and found this little baggie full of sand. Our cousin is in the Army and is stationed in Honolulu but he refuses to give us his address so we can send the sand to him for him to safely return to the beach...he said he has had enough bad luck and won't take the chance. I want to return the sand but my question is where do I send it?

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,442 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaiian Sand...Bad Luck!!!

Aloha,

Might as well send it to VNP.

Aloha

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,442 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaiian Sand...Bad Luck!!!

Mahalo for your decision.

http://www.nps.gov/havo/contacts.htm

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaiian Sand...Bad Luck!!!

From what I remember the curse is something dreamed up by VNP rangers long ago to keep people from taking home rocks as souvenirs. If there was a curse on Hawaiian lava there would be a whole lot of people out there who don't even realize they are cursing themselves. Do you know how much Hawaiian sand comes home in suitcases, seashells and such? And if you look close at even the sands from the white sand beaches still will have small lava sand pieces in it. There was tons of Coco Joe's statues sold in the islands back in the 60's and 70's that were made out of lava and resin. I doubt the sand is the source of your bad luck. But if you believe it is and return it to the islands that in itself could help you on a path to better times. The park receives quite a few packages all the time with lava in them. I even saw it on a show about Hawaii years ago. Many with letters hoping for the curse to be lifted. I wish you better times with what ever you decide to do.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,574 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaiian Sand...Bad Luck!!!

I have brought allot of stuff home including sand on my dirty clothes and what not. Life is a big adventure and so called "bad luck" is just a part of it.

Edited: 23 March 2014, 08:57
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaiian Sand...Bad Luck!!!

I thought it was the post office that receives it, but it could be VNP or both.

Iʻm not a person who believes in superstitions like this, and I would never mail back sand, but do as you wish. :)

And yes, it was made up and is not even a real belief prior to the rangers inventing it.

The story that Pele likes bottles of gin left for her was also made up.

Personally I think itʻs more useful to look at what in your life could bring things on and learn from the experiences you are labeling as bad luck, but YMMV.

Maybe this will help ...

http://youtu.be/X72fXW5Cs3U?t=1m15s

Edited: 23 March 2014, 09:26
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaiian Sand...Bad Luck!!!

So sorry, that link came out all wrong, was supposed to start at beginning of song.

BAD LUCK and TROUBLE

maybe this will work. ;-)

http://youtu.be/RyFs13mMtPo?t=10s

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,630 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaiian Sand...Bad Luck!!!

We would be in deep you know what if that curse is true. Everytime we come home from Hawaii there is sand in our suitcase. Not a lot but still..........

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,062 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaiian Sand...Bad Luck!!!

If you look for bad luck, you might think you have it.

"The story that Pele likes bottles of gin left for her was also made up.

Personally I think itʻs more useful to look at what in your life could bring things on and learn from the experiences you are labeling as bad luck"

Wow, what a great and relevant comment above.

So, I suppose I have to mail back those paper embossed Grand Wailea napkins that I snatched one time. Oh yea....all the GW pool wristbands I have too. :)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
42,584 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaiian Sand...Bad Luck!!!

Yes - I got some Kaua`i red mud on my golf shoes, and had bad luck - I could not get the red out! Also, my golf swing seems to have disappeared, if it was ever there to begin with? Maybe I should have left those shoes in Kapa`a... [Grin]

Hunt

PS - on that same trip, the operators of the B&B told a tale of a guest from Dallas, who went hiking with some very expensive white tennis shoes. She sent an invoice for about $500 to replace them, 'cause the red stains would not come out. The hosts just laughed and ignored the bill. Maybe they should have brought up the "curse?"

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,442 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaiian Sand...Bad Luck!!!

Aloha,

We do see similar stories here and elsewhere, with folks saying basically "things go better" after returning the sand/rocks/whatever.

No harm in them sending it back.