We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Time - Help Please

SC
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
1st Time - Help Please

Considering going to Hawaii for very 1st time. Husband and I in our late 40's early 50's - Celebrating wedding anniversary.

Have no idea where to begin. Is there really 1 island that stands out about the others?

Would love to see some of the sights. Prefer a water view. Don't really care to be caught up in all of the crowds, and I know this will be difficult in Hawaii.

Haven't really thought about the price. (Hotel types equivalent to a Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott)

Open to suggestions. Looking to go the week of July 4th.

Thank you for your help. :)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Time - Help Please

tripadvisor.com/…57734670

This question is asked once or twice a day ... so if you scroll down the State of Hawaii Forum, you'll see all kinds of posts to read. The link above is to one I wrote before bedtime last night.

The bottom line is that you need to familiarize yourself with your options before moving ahead.

No, there is no "best" Island. There are four major Islands and two smaller islands. Reading about them is great fun. Think about when you want to come and for how long. Choose your Island before focusing on accommodations. And establish a nightly accommodations budget if you need our assistance.

Feel free to post Island-specific questions on the individual Island Forums - e.g., Island of Oahu, Island of Maui, etc.

SC
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Time - Help Please

Thank you BLBL

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,586 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Time - Help Please

Actually, some of the islands are very rural and quiet . . . you need not be in a crowd just because you are in Hawaii. Some islands are more populated and have large cities, some islands don't even have stop lights! Do some basic research, but it would help to know how many days you have - I would get it booked soon, as July is a busy time for Hawaii. :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Time - Help Please

How many nights do you have? July 4th is going to be a busy week, but I think if your main criteria is quieter and less crowded, I'd start by looking at Kauai or the Big Island.

Do check into the guidebook "Hawaii for Dummies" also check out www.gohawaii.com to start your research and get a basic overview/ understanding of what each of the islands have to offer.

Also, if you can tell us a little more about type of trip you are looking for and what you want to do and see while in Hawaii (what are your priorities) we can help you a little more.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,843 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Time - Help Please

You're posting on the Island of Hawaii forum, otherwise known as the Big Island. You may get more responses if you post on the general State of Hawaii forum but if you repost I would first do some reading and see what you can narrow down for yourself and then when you repost, do so on the specific island forum you've decided on together with a nightly accommodation budget if you need help finding lodging.

Chain hotels like the Hyatts, Hiltons, Marriotts tend to be in the most touristy and busy places on the islands, and as noted July 4 week will be very busy and there will be many families around. Once you choose an island, you might want to consider other properties besides the biggest corporate chains. Mauna Lani or Mauna Kea on the Big Island, a cottage on the north shore of Kauai (although most will be booked by now for July, you could look at Hanalei Colony or Hanalei Bay resorts), Makena or Napili in Maui.

The Top Questions on the right hand side of each island forum can also help you to get some of your questions answered.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,758 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Time - Help Please

Mauna Lani Bay Hotel and Bungalows on Island of Hawai'i is a lovely place to be 4th of July. Turtle Independence Day is held then (search for that phrase plus Mauna Lani for more info). The Mauna Kea Beach Hotel is another lovely spot on the 4th, one that does lovely fireworks over the water, and has manta rays swimming under spotlights. Probably the nicest swimming beach in the state.

Those would be my two picks for this island, with Fairmont Orchid in third place, which would shuttle you to the turtle event (or you could walk). Only the Fairmont is really a well known chain, although Prince Resorts that owns Mauna Kea is a Japanese hotel chain.

Also there is Hapuna Prince, also owned by Prince Resorts and adjacent to the Mauna Kea, another prime spot and very affordable. They bus their guests up to Mauna Kea for fireworks. I was there this last 4th of July.

The Fourth itself is going to be a busy beach day, but the other days of the week will be quieter.

7. Re: 1st Time - Help Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 05:16