We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Days to explore the Island... suggestions appreciated!!

Enosburg Falls...
6 posts
Save Topic
4 Days to explore the Island... suggestions appreciated!!

Our family of 5 (3 older teenage daughters with lots of energy) looking to explore this Island.

Here are some of our ideas:

Akaka Falls State Park, Volcano National Park , Punaalu Beach, Hamakua Coast, Mauna Loa Hawaii national Park, Kaumana Caves Park Panaewa Rainforest Zoo and Gardens, a good Zip Line? Rainbow Falls, Sea Cave Tours, Kealakekua Bay, Kilauea Kula Kai Caverns, Nature Hawaiian Lava, Hawaii Tropical Botanical Gargen, Pe’epe’e Falls, Papakolee Beach, Kalapana Pololu Valley Lookout, Hapuna Beach, Waipi’o Valley chain of craters,

This is a combination of everyones lists.. we would love your input as to whether each place is worth a visit or if you can recommend something else..

Also, at this time we are still looking to book our place to stay, would Pahoa be a bad choice?

I know that Kona area has the best beaches but I can't get a good answer as to whether we can swim on the HIlo/Pahoa side?

We will also be visiting Oahu for 3 days after leaving Hawaii Island.

Thank you for any help you can offer..

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,579 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: 4 Days to explore the Island... suggestions appreciated!!

PS. I forgot about getting in the water.

You could head to the west side and snorkel in the morning at Waialea Bay for a couple hours (instead of Hapuna).

Second, you can go over to Richardson's in Hilo and try snorkeling there. In June it should be very nice. You could do that your second morning, before you check out and head up to Volcano. If you get up early, which you will with the time change, you have time to go snorkel in Hilo before a 11-12 AM checkout.

I wouldn't bother trying to do Kapoho tidepools. Trying to get there when the tide is optimum will be tough unless the tide gods are perfectly on your side, and you'll have to build a whole day around it. Going to Richardson's will be an easier way to get in the water for a couple hours.

Edited: 04 May 2014, 00:09
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
36,579 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: 4 Days to explore the Island... suggestions appreciated!!

I thought you had said your dates of state, but can't fine them now. Can you give your exact dates? You might get some help with rentals if people know them, because a lot of nice and affordable places are already gone by now, only a month out.

Take a look at this rental with a two night minimum right by Richardson's beach. It has two suites, one for parents and one for teens.

http://www.vrbo.com/471707

Here is a nice one over a waterfall in Hilo on Reed's Island. Seems like your taste is for this type of ambience. Extra person is $30.

Rates are always negotiable, although with only two nights, you have very little leverage. If you did four nights and it by luck filled up a spot in the calendar just right, you might get a price break.

http://www.vrbo.com/471707

Edit: both these rentals have a lot of June already booked.

Do not bother to look for rentals listed under Hilo that say only 15 minutes from Hilo. The oceanfront ones you will see are almost all in Hawaiian Paradise Park. That is not somewhere to try to find after a long flight with very little daylight left. (If you stay out of town like that, you would need to buy groceries before going. If you stay in town, you can defer buying groceries.)

There are a few different places to have dinner in Hilo that are affordable and nice for families, but most are busy, so you would need reservations. Ken's Pancakes is a walk in and might be a good solution for grabbing a bite after arrival. Especially if you stay near Richardson's.

Edited: 04 May 2014, 00:25
Canada
Level Contributor
8,963 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: 4 Days to explore the Island... suggestions appreciated!!

KK....a lot of great suggestions.

I can't help but notice the links provided are for the same house. Quite nice though...it looks to have a very open feel.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
36,579 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: 4 Days to explore the Island... suggestions appreciated!!

wanderlust, so glad you noted I failed to copy the second link into my buffer and accidentally posted the first link twice.

This was the second one, the waterfall retreat.

http://www.vrbo.com/509333

I decided not to look any more until I knew dates. The properties are quite booked up for June.

Also I don't see a nightly budget (including cleaning fee averaged in, but before taxes).

There are more places to choose for couples, but Sleeps 5 bumps it up enough in size that the rates increase too. Also I assume that one bathroom for parents and three teens is not too desirable, even if a smaller place will technically sleep 5.

35. Re: 4 Days to explore the Island... suggestions appreciated!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2015, 05:16