We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach/Car safety

Chicago
Level Contributor
219 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Beach/Car safety

Our family's very much looking forward to our first visit to BI next month. However as I'm doing some reading, I am so discouraged by the talks of your rental car breakin and thefts at the beach. We are avid snorkelers and plan on hitting some nice beaches all over the island. I really hate the thought of having to carry a waterproof pouch with our belongings when all of us are in the water. We've snorkeled in Mexico, Turks Caicos, Florida and Maui/Kauai(back in '95) and hit the beaches all over California and never had to worry about getting our stuff stolen. I mean, is it really that bad?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,271 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach/Car safety

I have never had any problem on any Hawaiian island I have visited, but I also keep it really simple . . . I don't bring much to the beach other than water, snack & snorkel gear, and usually keep car rental key in pocket buried in bag . . . maybe even that is too trusting, but I really haven't had any problems. Sometimes, if I know I am just heading to the beach, I don't even bring wallet - just drivers license (which I keep in the glove box) and maybe a few dollars for shave ice. :)

I don't have much in the car either, but there have been times I have traveled with luggage and that hasn't been a problem either. But I did have a friend who lost phone & credit cards in on his Hawaiian vacation. I think it depends on the beach - and how expensive your stuff is. Good luck! :)

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,188 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach/Car safety

There are some beaches where this is more of a problem than at others. If you have to go through a guard gate to access the beach, those areas are generally fine, but even then I wouldn't leave valuables sitting around unattended on the beach, it's kind of an open invitation.

Same thing with car thefts, many areas with security are fine, but as a general rule don't leave anything of value in your car. If you have a day where you want to stop somewhere with luggage there are many topics here about what stops are safe and which aren't.

Beaches on the BI with security that don't have theft problems include Kukio, Kikaua Point, Makaiwa, Honokaope, and Kauna'oa. Hapuna and Waialea don't have a car break in problem but I wouldn't leave anything valuable on the beach or sitting in open view in the car.

I wouldn't take any valuables to beaches or shoreline areas in Kailua Kona like Kahaluu, Laaloa, the pier, or Honokohau, and beaches you have to hike to like Makalawena and Kiholo are notorious for car breaks ins at the parking places just off the highway as well as beach thefts.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,016 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach/Car safety

It's much better than Oahu, if that helps. No one's ever taken anything from me on the beach here, but it only takes one bad person.

On the beach, I leave my stuff so that no one can get to the car keys, ID, and phone without really digging into my pile. From what I have heard of thefts on beaches, it's often done as a casual drive by where a bag can be scooped up as if it belongs to the thief. Other people on the beach notice if someone is ransacking someone's spot.

Put your stuff near someone else, and possibly strike up a conversation where you ask them if they will watch. Tourists don't come to the beach to steal. Stealing is typically local druggies or local kids.

Parking lots where no one knows to whom a vehicle belongs, where vehicles are left for hours because people are hiking (as Shea mentioned) -- those are a concern. In town is a concern.

4. Re: Beach/Car safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 07:16