We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volcanoes National Park or Haleakala Crater

Vic
Level Contributor
18 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Volcanoes National Park or Haleakala Crater

Hi there,

My wife and I are coming to Hawaii in January 2015. We are planning to spend some time in Waikiki and one other island for 2-3 days. We are tossing up between the Big Island and Maui. We plan to do a zip line adventure and from what I can gather there are good operators on both islands. The drawcard for the Big Island is the Volcanoes National Park. Given it seems unlikely we will see lava flow how does the Haleakala Crater stack up against the Volcanoes National Park ? This is essentially the factor that will decide which other island we visit. Any advice would be appreciated including any other attractions on either island that would help sway the decision.

Kind regards

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Haleakala Crater
Haleakala Crater
6,838 Reviews
Maui, HI
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,838 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Volcanoes National Park or Haleakala Crater

I wouldn't do any of the zip lining on the east side of the Big Island, the nature of the soil there was blamed on an accident that caused a fatality and major structural collapse. So if that's a priority I'd go to Maui...but there's no comparing Volcanoes National park and Haleakala. VNP is one of the best national parks in the country, contains an active volcano, the largest petroglyph field in Polynesia, and surreal volcanic landscapes created by the ongoing, 40 years and counting, eruption. Haleakala offers very good summit views but it's more like a mountain feel than an active volcano.

Mentioned in this post
East Coast
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Volcanoes National Park or Haleakala Crater

Well if it's Lava you want to see it is even less likely on dormant Haleakala..

3. Re: Volcanoes National Park or Haleakala Crater

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 09:16