We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oahu or Big Island Luau?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
284 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
Oahu or Big Island Luau?

We'll be in Hawaii in August, 2 adults, 2 young teens, 4 nights on Oahu, 8 on the Big Island. we'd like to do a luau one evening. Staying in Waikiki in Oahu, Waikaloa on the Big Island.

Specific questions:

- should we do one on Oahu or on the Big Island?

- which one is the best?

I read some of the materials on TripAdvisor and saw that Kona Village Resort, which everyone seemed to recommend as the best luau, is now closed, so i'm looking for other suggestions. Thanks!

Edited: 01 June 2014, 03:48
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,418 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oahu or Big Island Luau?

I would be heading to the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu for a luau. You can spend the whole afternoon there, and learn a lot about the different cultures in Polynesia.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,189 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oahu or Big Island Luau?

Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu has by far the best Polynesian entertainment in Hawaii. An all day experience ending with the best Polynesian show in Hawaii, Ha: Breath of Life. No other luau venue comes close to the entertainment at PCC.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,015 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oahu or Big Island Luau?

Yes, I don't recommend any commercial luau on the Big Island. The PCC option mentioned is your best bet.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
284 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oahu or Big Island Luau?

Thanks everyone.

Las Vegas, Nevada...
Level Contributor
48 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oahu or Big Island Luau?

One quick comment. Sped the whole afternoon and evening at the PCC. It's very educational and the evening show rocks.

We're headed to both Islands toward the later part of the month and are actually doing the Sunset Luau with a large group for a celebration and then we will do the PCC with just family.

Larry

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
4,903 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oahu or Big Island Luau?

If you go to PCC, get there in time for the canoe pageant starting at 2:30 PM, stay for the Ali'i Luau and evening show, Ha. There are several other luaus, as shown on the link, but the Ali'i is definitely worth the extra money in my opinion.

polynesia.com/dining_and_luau.html#alii-luau

Tampa, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Oahu or Big Island Luau?

I am interested in knowing when and where are the luaus on the Big Island close to the Waikiki beach? Anybody know? Thanks

Edited: 13 March 2015, 13:47
Dallas
Level Contributor
20,766 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oahu or Big Island Luau?

Holly D - you might want to do a little more island research. Waikiki Beach is not on the "Big Island"

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,540 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oahu or Big Island Luau?

The big island is the island of Hawaii. It is the largest island in the chain. Waikiki is on the island of Oahu, the commercial hub and Honolulu (the only city in Hawaii) is the state capital.

Fair Oaks...
Level Contributor
338 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oahu or Big Island Luau?

Is the Kona Village Luau closed ? is the hotel and Don the Beachcomber still open?