We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pahoa and Puna observations

Pennellville, New...
Level Contributor
221 posts
246 reviews
Save Topic
Pahoa and Puna observations

My wife and I spent 4 days in Puna at the start of August. We stayed at The Peaceful Cove Cottage(Google Peaceful Cove Cottage Hawaii). It was about a half a mile from the end of the road by the new black sand beach. It was gorgeous. A short stroll through the back yard brings you to the crashing waves. Flowers and birds all over the place. (And I think it was only @ $100.00 per night). I was a little leery at first because it was so cheap...but I was wrong. We arrived during the weekend and the beaches and pools had parked cars everywhere. Too crowded for my tastes. But when we checked them out on Monday morning we pretty much had them to ourselves. The nude beach was beautiful,but a little too rough to swim in, the heated lava pool was delicious and the state park was fun to watch the surfers. Pahoa town itself was a kick. NOT touristy at all. Went into the Black Rock cafe at 1:00 Sunday afternoon. The bar was half full with more than half drunk people. But they were very friendly.( 3 of them literally stumbled out of the place. But they weren't driving.) We saw a heavy contingent of the backpacing crowd. We saw a bunch of people smoking dope(...but I guess that famous Hawaiian friendliness doesn't go so far in the sharing department). The narrow roads are trecherous and stunningly canopied in green. I never felt threatened or picked up a spooky vibe. If/when I go back I'll spend more time there.

tallahassee, florida
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pahoa and Puna observations

This is very good news to hear. My S/O and I will be staying in the lower Pahoa area the first of December. I've been reading everything I can find, and some of it (here) has not been very "Pahoa Friendly" so to speak.

Glad to hear you were welcomed....I've been on a few chat boards talking to locals in the area, and everyone I have talked with so far has been "Overly" friendly, and says that's the way most people there are.

We will be there through the weekend and into the next week so hopefully we can avoid the huge beach crowds as well.

Just how rough were the waves at the "nude" beach? The place we are staying is within walking distance to that beach as well...

-BigIsandFever

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pahoa and Puna observations

"Just how rough were the waves at the "nude" beach? The place we are staying is within walking distance to that beach as well..."

If you mean Kehena we swam there in October and it was barely swimable. I have a feeling by December with the trades up it will be darn near impossible. It has a considerable drop off which means a huge undertow.

Just have to play it by ear, if no one else is swiming do't go, if others are then see if they are having any problems.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pahoa and Puna observations

bigislandfever, you might want to try punaweb.org. It's more of like a local forum, you can get lots of info there. I can also recommend konaforum.com for restaurant reviews, there are a few East side restaurant postings there too.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,558 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pahoa and Puna observations

I'm glad BB volunteered about Kehena. In December the waters are much rougher around the island. I have never been swimming at Kehena, which I consider a beach for excellent swimmers only. Don't ever judge ocean safety by whether locals are in the water; they know these spots from infancy (and still some drown). Look hard at the ocean conditions at a beach like this or even go ask some people how the currents are today.

OK, so here's my "Puna/Pahoa" comfort level test.

Do you consider yourself conservative? Straight arrow? Do you dislike being around hippies, Rastafarians and/or new age types? Do environmentalists and grassroots activists annoy you? Then if you generally ansered yes, Puna's probably not for you on a social/cultural level.

Have you ever worn tie dye? Smoked a reefer? Had a "question authority" bumper sticker? Have you ever been to a nude hot springs? Do you meditate, chant, visualize, practice yoga, participate in drum circles, play guitar on beaches? Are you interested in alternative lifestyles? If you didn't go to the original Woodstock or Haight-Ashbury, do you wish you could have gone? Do you believe in karma? Do you know what color your aura is? (OK, thats' not strictly necessary, someone can read it for you).

Then I think you'll feel comfortable in Puna and appreciate its unique style. In truth, you don't have to answer yes to all that, but you should be comfortable being around people who live this way to get the full Puna experience. Or you can just pass through.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pahoa and Puna observations

Excellent posting KK. I spend lots of time in Puna because of my business, so one more word of advice: if you are different, don't judge the people there.

tallahassee, florida
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pahoa and Puna observations

Don't ya just love this Place!!!

BB......

Thanks for the Kehena Beach upadate. Yes, that is the beach I was talking about...one day I'll get the names in my head, (probably after I'm back home and miserable because my time there went by so fast). I had a feeling if anything around that area were to be "tourist unfriendly" it could be the beaches. We will be on the Kailua/Kona side of the island the last four days, so hopefully we can get some beach time in there.

TT.....

I saw on an earlier post where you talked about the Punaweb and rushed immediately to start reading. Everyone there seems so friendly and welcoming of their new neighbors. (Of course I realize there are a few in every area, but I would try to steer away from that type). I was intrigued by the story of the family who moved there and are living in a "container" until they build their dream home. Not sure I could be that brave, especially after seeing the photos of their tempory container home...but if it makes them happy, I"m all for it.

Which brings me to:

KK......

I"m not sure I could answer "yes" to all the questions about the Puna/Pahoa comfort level test, but it sure was fun taking it. I don't think we will have any problems, but if we see any, we know how to backtrack fast! We are really not bothered by what other people do or say, and if it looks fun, are likely to join in if invited...otherwise we have no problem being observers and applaud others who live the alternative lifestyles that make them happy.

15 weeks and counting.....

-BigIslandFever

st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Pahoa and Puna observations

Ok so what is the name of the small rock shop with the giant quartz crystal??? and what city is it.

8. Re: Pahoa and Puna observations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 15:20