We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What if you have a car full of luggage...

Libertyville, IL
Level Contributor
622 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
What if you have a car full of luggage...

Having never been to the BI before, I've seen some postings here and there about not leaving your car packed with luggage while out touring.

For two partial days, we don't really have a choice, as we will be switching hotels and touring along the way. We have rented a full-size car, and I'm pretty sure we can get all of our luggage into the trunk, so there won't be anything visible in back seats.

We plan to stop quite a bit - get outside, take short hikes to spots, etc.

One of the days, we are considering Horseback in Waipio Valley. We will need to leave our car with all of our luggage at the ranch while on horseback.

What do you think?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,371 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What if you have a car full of luggage...

I think you should not have arranged your trip this way. There are a few safe places to leave your car en route, but certainly not all.

How will you feel if you come back to your car and the trunk is jimmied and everything is gone? Or a window is smashed to get to the trunk release.

It's up to you. I would never leave all my stuff.

All of Hawai'i has this problem, at least the major islands. It is actually worse on Oahu, but it does happen here.

The criminals who do this stuff are very smart about what tourists do, they know.

If you can't change your plans a little, then have daypacks and always carry all true valuables when you hike.

Libertyville, IL
Level Contributor
622 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What if you have a car full of luggage...

Then I guess it looks like we are making changes again...

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
502 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What if you have a car full of luggage...

If you are planning to leave your stuff in your car when doing the Waipio ride, be advised you will not being leaving your car at some nice quiet private little ranch, off the beaten track.

Instead it will be parked right in the center of the little village (as you meet at the art gallery in town) which in IMHO didn't look at all that secure. We parked behind the art gallery building itself in a little lot which was quite obscured from sight from both the street and those in the building with a bunch of shrubbery etc and so made sure to leave nothing in our vehicle.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,371 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What if you have a car full of luggage...

You can do Waipi'o from your west side base instead of on a transit day, but it would help if you post what your plan looks like, which lodgings, etc..

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,466 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What if you have a car full of luggage...

Well, it depends. Many places are just fine with luggage in the car. Akaka Falls and the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Gardens are fine. Getting out to hike around the Onomea Bay scenic route, no. Anywhere inside Volcanoes National Park is fine. Kalapana and anywhere in lower Puna, no.

Waipio, no, I wouldn't. Just going to the lookout you're ok, but I wouldn't leave it there while you hike down or take a tour. Rainbow Falls and Punaluu beach you need to keep an eye on the car so don't wander too far. Hapuna, Manini'owali, and Waialea beach, no. Kukio Bay, Kikaua Point, Kauna'oa within the Mauna Kea, the Mauna Lani beaches, all those are fine. Public parking lots in towns like Hilo and Kailua Kona, not a good idea.

Part of the problem is that rental cars now have those obnoxious stickers on the window identifying them as rentals so even with a nondescript rental you're a target. Jeeps and SUVs with no trunks even more so because everyone can see you have all your stuff in there. Convertibles with soft tops they often just slash through, and trunk poppers for all makes of cars now are common. But there are many secured areas that I mention above that due to security and cameras have essentially zero car thefts.

United States
Level Contributor
327 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What if you have a car full of luggage...

I always parked my car unlocked with the windows partially rolled down. Never a problem.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,466 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What if you have a car full of luggage...

Park your car unlocked with the windows rolled down with luggage in it like the OP is asking about? That seems ill-advised.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,371 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What if you have a car full of luggage...

Leaving car unlocked only gives thieves access to the trunk release lever. Never do this when you actually have stuff you are protecting. It's sometimes done when you have nothing.

Anyhow it's a great way to get your car soaking wet on the east side or Hamakua. Sudden rain squalls.

Lock and alarm your car.

Police on east side reporting most thefts are from unlocked vehicles. I just talked to a Hilo based lieutenant about it.

Edited: 14 July 2014, 23:02
BKK
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What if you have a car full of luggage...

I really don't think police try very hard to catch these thieves. I also dont understand why so many of this type of criminals in Hawaii, but I have heard it is to buy drugs.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,371 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What if you have a car full of luggage...

They do try, but they don't have the resources to put detectives on it without pulling them off of investigations of more serious crimes. They do sometimes catch them.

Mostly the issue is drug habits. Some youth vandalize for entertainment. Hawaii has led the nation in crystal meth addiction for decades, although it may be second now, second is still not good.