We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car - Kona to Hilo

Chicago, IL.
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Rental Car - Kona to Hilo

We will be staying 4 nights in Kona then 3 nights in Hilo then we will be hopping an interisland flight to Maui. Can anyone tell me what (if any) car rental companies allow you to pick up your car at the Kona airport and return it to the Hilo airport? We would really like to save some time by not having to drive from Hilo back to Kona to return the car.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car - Kona to Hilo

I have done the reverse route, i.e. picked up at Hilo and returned at Kona. Most of the big rental companies allow you to do that for an extra charge. I remember it cost me about $40 extra for the different drop off location.

It is definitely worth the $ for the time saved unless you are planning on sight seeing along the way. Example go the upper route from Hilo to Kona stopping to see the Parker Ranch, etc, then lower route Kona to Hilo stopping to see Green Sand Beach, etc.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car - Kona to Hilo

Most rental co's let you pick up one place and drop another---some charge others don't. I have a rental thru Hertz in May, Hilo to Kona, and I'm not paying any extra drop fees.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car - Kona to Hilo

We're staying 5 nights Kona, then 3 nights Hilo, then going to Maui, just like you. We rented through National, and I don't think we are being charged a drop fee. (At least it doesn't show up as a separate itemized cost on the reservation sheet.)

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car - Kona to Hilo

I booked our rental car through our Costco membership (their travel program) and with the discount, the extra "drop" fee for picking up in Hilo and leaving the car in Kona only cost us $4. Be sure to check whether there is an extra charge for other drivers--one company charged quite a bit if more than one person would be driving--we decided to let my husband do all the driving, but then he hurt his back a little on one of the hikes and driving was uncomfortable for him--on our next trip we made sure we could both drive for no extra charge.