We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't laugh please. Need suggestions

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
278 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Don't laugh please. Need suggestions

Ok all your experts. Arrive 9/24 for a full 7 days. Have a rent a car and staying at Kings Land with wife and 2 boys (ages 4 and 7). The rest of the family besides me is not adventurous at all and the boys are not the easy going go with the flow type if you know what I mean. My wife does not like dirt, animals etc lol. I know they would be happy cooking at condo and going to pool all day long. I would feel that this once in a lifetime gifted trip would be worthless without some exploring. I know I am not going to volcano, long long drive etc. Now boys could probably do an hour or so drive and just because wife doesn't like animals and thinks fish will eat her feet does not mean It stops me from doing some things. So in a nutshell suggestions for activities so we feel and see culture, easy beach, restaurants etc. Thank you in advance.

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't laugh please. Need suggestions

Animals? This isn't Africa or Alaska we are talking about. I think the Big Island is the worst island for your family by what you are saying. Maui or Oahu may be a better fit if you could cancel. If not you are pretty much SOL. The BI requires time to explore. If the family just wants the beach, pool and some shopping and restaurants you are fine.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,785 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't laugh please. Need suggestions

I would recommend walking around the Mauna Lani one day, there are ancient fish ponds with big eels and pufferfish that the kids can see without going in the water and the hotel also has ponds with turtles and sharks.

The Pu'ukohola heiau is a short drive and a short stop with some interesting heiaus and history.

Hapuna is a nice long beach that should be calm that time of year and is just about 10 minutes away. Anaeho'omalu beach near Kings Land is nice for sunset and has turtles. The Queens Marketplace and Kings Shops there in Waikoloa Beach also have free hula and music many days. The Shops at the Mauna Lani has a free Polynesian show a couple times a week.

Waimea on Saturdays in particular is a fun upcountry town with two farmers markets and roadside stands and trucks. It's about a half hour away.

I disagree with dada, as I listed above there's plenty to do within a few minutes of your hotel and Kings Land has better pools than any condo complex I've seen on any island. You also can go over to the Hilton if you want and use their pools since you're staying at Kings Land.

Edited: 03 August 2014, 21:10
Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
278 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't laugh please. Need suggestions

Thank you much. This is my dad's condo he is gifting to us so I cannot go elsewhere and they will do activities just not the most adventerous.

California
Level Contributor
6,024 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't laugh please. Need suggestions

I would also rethink making a day trip to Volcano National Park. You can easily do a day trip starting in the morning and make a stop or two along the way and spend a fews hours around the park museums and basic sites. Although you won't see any flowing lava because of your time limit, there's a lot to see for your kids at their age. I've done the same trip many times when our kids were smaller.

You can make a great day out of this and be back before dinner or nightfall.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,785 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't laugh please. Need suggestions

Kings Land is awesome. Nice gift!

Given the age of your kids and how you describe them, I would not make the 6- hour roundtrip trek to Volcanoes National Park. You know your kids and are smart to concentrate on the immediate area around your condo. There's tons to do, the time will fly.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,776 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't laugh please. Need suggestions

Are you able to do something on your own for a few hours while they're enjoying condo and pools, without them feeling upset?

Shea's list is very good.

Can you also say whether the boys do enjoy being at the beach, playing in sand, ocean play?

Check out the events calendar at Waikoloa Beach Resort for free evening hula and stuff like that at the shopping centers. Entertaining, cultural, no dirt involved.

www.waikoloabeachresort.com

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,776 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't laugh please. Need suggestions

PS. I don't actually know what you mean by the boys aren't easy and go with the flow types. I get the big picture, I think, but it would help if you explain what they would likely reject and what they might like. I think you're saying they don't like sitting in the car for a long drive, but not sure.

If the boys like treats, ice cream and stuff, "rewards" to look forward to that keep them involved in a sightseeing trip, then we can help by telling you where to find the best of those things.

I had two boys close in age, who were a handful, but they would do almost anything if there was an ice cream promised as part of the deal. :)

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,569 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't laugh please. Need suggestions

I was thinking along the same lines as Shea but was hoping she would come along and give you the details. I think I will be an awesome week and even just hanging out it will fly. There are plenty of things to do nearby to at least make you feel like you have seen some of Hawaii. If you want some amazing views you might consider the drive up to pololu valley...no real activity required but its beautiful and you could stop for the ice cream KK suggests in Hawi...plus explore the town...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
80 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't laugh please. Need suggestions

Maybe you and your boys could go to the Sea Horse Farm one day? My nine year old really liked it. He is not exactly the go with the flow type although he does like animals a lot. It is only 30 minutes or so from Waikoloa. Also, assuming you don't have to pay for the privilege, the lagoon at the Hilton is nice for kids. My son who generally prefers to be inside playing video games, had a very good time there. From a parents prospective it is a pretty safe environment.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,776 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Don't laugh please. Need suggestions

Ice Cream is one lure in Hawi, and other casual food. There is actually Tropical Dreams ice cream in Kawaihae now, no need to go to Hawi -- but it's nice to go to Hawi, although it may be only marginally interesting to boys. I prefer the Anuenue (rainbow) hole in the wall at Kawaihae shopping center, but both are very good.