We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving after Iselle?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Arriving after Iselle?

Hello and I am glad that all TA posters made it through Iselle safely. We are arriving on Sunday night. I tried to phone and e-mail my lodging in VNP and Kohala. I have not heard from either and wondered about the extent of damage in those areas. I know that power is down in places. Are there areas that tourists should avoid right now? Trying to figure out an itinerary that keeps us out of the way of people struggling to clean-up.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving after Iselle?

Kohala is fine.

Do you really mean VNP, which is the actual park? The park will be open, and the two lodgings in it. More likely you mean Volcano Village or area around. Quite a lot of the area still has no power. I don't think you would need to avoid sightseeing there out of consideration, or Hilo -- that would be parts of lower Puna,

I would avoid the Wai Opae tidepools; it's a mess and the water will be full of junk. Also avoid swimming in Hilo. Other than that, most is going on in subdivisions tourists don't go. I'm sure your business is very welcome in Pahoa and Kea'au.

Your main issue is whether you have power in Volcano. Is that your arrival point. What rental is it? If they don't have power tomorrow, I doubt they will Sunday, so you need to find out quickly. Can't give more advice without knowing more specifics about your arrangements.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving after Iselle?

We are staying at the Volcano Country Cottages. I will try to call them again today but was waiting until a decent time. (It's noon in Ohio but I am trying to be considerate of people in the wee hours of the morning over there!) My original reservations were Aug. 10-13. Since my flight comes in late on the 10th, I know I won't make it to the Volcano area that evening. I thought I would just double-book a cheap hotel in Kona and drive to VNP on the 11th. I just wanted to make sure they wanted us on the 11-13. We will avoid the tide pools when we drive back through Hilo to Kohala.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving after Iselle?

Volcano Country Cottages has power, Internet and land lines as of 1 AM. I have spoken to them and all is good. I guess the only glitch in my plans is to avoid the tide pools. I am sure that BI residents wish they had such a small glitch! Thanks for the advice.

Winnipeg, Canada
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving after Iselle?

We just heard that our condo in Volcano has power. We're supposed to moving there from Kohalo on Monday, but our condo in Kohala will let us stay on (the next renters cancelled due to the storm).

We had planned on snorkeling today (but changed those plans because of advice here) so I'm not sure if we'll get any snorkeling in before we leave.

We had planned on hiking in VNP (which I haven't been able to get a hold of to see if it's open yet), visiting the Jagger museum, visiting the Akaka falls and hiking down into Waipi'o Valley. I'm not sure how much rain is still creating problems there and whether we'll be able to do any of this hiking.

I'm interested to know if anyone has opinions about whether we should make the move to Volcano or cancel and stay in Waikoloa?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,711 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving after Iselle?

To both the OP and Jennifer - I would go ahead and make the move if your lodgings have power in Volcano. I believe the weather should actually be pretty good there and it's really in lower Puna that you'd want to avoid where the biggest mess is - as KK mentions. Hiking will be muddy in many places so I would take sticks and make sure you have good footwear but otherwise you should be fine. Talk to the rangers at VNP if you're worried about any particular trail. The flat hike to Puu Loa is on lava rock so no worries there or for most of the Chain of Craters hiking. Kilauea Iki will probably be muddy in spots but not too bad.

Akaka Falls should be quite beautiful. Waipio should be ok too as the steep road down is paved but it will likely be slippery. Definitely don't get in the ocean there! That's true really any time but it will be a regular shark convention probably. It is one place that gets runoff and is very sharky.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,711 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving after Iselle?

Jennifer, I just posted a new topic - Waipio Valley Road is closed today except to local traffic. While they may not be keeping hikers off of it this is a clue that it's best to avoid at least today and possibly tomorrow. Keep an eye on the blog I posted for more info and I'll try to update if things change.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving after Iselle?

hawaiielectriclight.com/helco/…

This latest update does not list Volcano in the communities still without power or any of the communities mauka of Hwy 11. It's all lower Puna subdivisions. Read the list of outages and avoid those places. Neither of the towns are on the list.

Do confirm with your rental that they are ready for you. I would hesitate to head out for any place that hasn't responded to phone or email.

Go to the VNP Facebook site and also listen to their recorded phone message for continuing updates. The main problem there was downed trees, and they anticipated opening today -- as listed in the excellent topic Shea started, with some areas not available.

Edited: 09 August 2014, 22:29
8. Re: Arriving after Iselle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2015, 06:16