We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling near Kona

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling near Kona

I'm scheduled to be in Kona from Aug 30th - Sept 5th and am a beginner snorkeler. I have booked a few tour for morning snorkelling (won't do it on my own).

I've read reports of beach conditions and have heard that Kona didn't get hit that hard. Will it be safe to snorkel by then? Just wondering if the snorkelling will be worth while?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,427 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling near Kona

It would really help if you tell us exactly where you're staying. "Kona" refers to two very large districts but neither one of them have many beaches or good snorkeling of note - the beach district is in South Kohala and that's where most of the best snorkeling this time of year is as well. Snorkeling in Honaunau Bay in South Kona is good if the surf isn't up. No beach there. Several boats go there.

No, there are no issues on the west side with respect to the storms.

I strongly encourage you to read through the snorkeling Top Question on the right hand side >>>>>

Edited: 12 August 2014, 06:14
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,108 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling near Kona

Welcome to Trip Advisor Donna!

Please take a few minutes and watch this short PSA video when you have time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MvPHBMyXDw

Have you thought about doing the night dive with the rays? That would be pretty special, and you would be with others on a tour.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling near Kona

Thank you Joan for posting this. I am still doing my homework getting ready for my trip. My husband went to Oahu a few years ago and was surfing when a wave took him done. His leg dug into the sand and it broke in 5 places! He required surgery and months of physical therapy. It still hurts now and then to this day. Thanks for the reminder.... The waves look like fun but certainly can pack a punch!

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling near Kona

Sorry first time heading to Hawaii, staying at Kona Beach Hotel, I believe is the Kailua-Kona district, and will stick with tours as I'm new to snorkeling and still learning.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling near Kona

Very good video. Yes I'm thinking of doing the Manta Ray snorkel.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,427 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling near Kona

I assume you mean the Courtyard King Kamehameha - no one will know what you're talking about if you say Kona Beach Hotel or try to find it on GPS that way.

Tours are a great way to snorkel under supervision and gain some confidence but there are several safe places with lifeguards like Makaiwa that are fine for beginners if it is flat. I would not do the manta ray night snorkel without making sure you're very comfortable. It is a wonderful experience it the amount of people and darkness can make it challenging for beginners.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling near Kona

Interesting, as Kona Beach hotel is how I found it. It was one of the top results when I googled hotels in Kona. To be honest, never having been to any of the Islands, I wouldn't have recognized King Kamehameha but did recognize Marriott.

Cheers

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,427 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling near Kona

I only mentioned it because of how it's known locally - not on google. If you say Kona Beach Hotel to someone or try to GPS it, as I said, you won't be able to find it.

9. Re: Snorkeling near Kona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2015, 05:17