We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanakapiai - Sandy or Rocky in May?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
Save Topic
Hanakapiai - Sandy or Rocky in May?

I've been to Hanakapiai Beach in early April -- no beach just rocks -- and late June -- plenty of beach. Can anyone tell me if I can expect to have a sandy beach and access to the lava tubes in early May?

Thanks.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,871 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanakapiai - Sandy or Rocky in May?

Nope, in April it will still be pretty rocky, unless we have some strange weather or tide conditions come up.

Remember, Hanakapi'ai Beach has (I believe) the highest drowning statistics on the island -- it is far, far away from any services of any kind. It is highly recommended by all Water Safety people to stay out of the water at this location.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanakapiai - Sandy or Rocky in May?

Yeah - I know it's rocky in April, I'm curious about May. I have a couple who are interested in getting married there on Hanakapiai Beach, perhaps near the big lava tube. I'm just worried that there won't be much beach in early May. Any hikers had any luck that time of year being able to enjoy the beach?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,871 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanakapiai - Sandy or Rocky in May?

Unfortunately May is still pretty "iffy" -- I'd say you are more likely to have rocks than sand -- but again, things can change!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanakapiai - Sandy or Rocky in May?

planning a wedding at Hanakapiai in May.....

You will be in the hands of mother natures fickle ways.....

Weddings are kinda special, might want to opt for a place that you can count on. Maybe even have a back up indoor something in case of a steady rain. LIke on the south shore.

Denny

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hanakapiai - Sandy or Rocky in May?

Yeah - That's how I feel. That's just one of the options. I think I'll push for another location. Thanks for the quick responses!

6. Re: Hanakapiai - Sandy or Rocky in May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 07:17