We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we go to Kauai? Help please!

Norridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Should we go to Kauai? Help please!

Hi there! My husband and I are planning our first trip to Hawaii this year and need some help! We plan on traveling over Thanksgiving, for about 6 days. We would prefer to stay either in a rental that has a pool or in a hotel/resort that has a pool. Our budget for lodging is to spend no more than $300/night. We're scenery snobs! The turqoise beaches, white sands, lots of greenary, waterfalls etc. is what we'd like to experience on our first trip to Hawaii. We'd love to be able to go out and grab a nice meal sometimes, but we aren't interested in in any nightlife. We spent our honeymoon in Bali, and absolutely loved it! We did some cycling, white water rafting, and hikes. We also love spending time at the beach and really enjoy a good view. We've been told that Kauai might be the best island for us.

In your opinion, do you think Kauai is a good fit for us? Is it a good island to visit for first timers? How is the weather like in November? In your opinion, do we have a high chance of experiencing rain? Also, what part of the island do you think we should stay at?

Any advice would be great! Thank you!!

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
27 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
481 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we go to Kauai? Help please!

Kauai's North Shore has what you're looking for but, for a first trip, I'd go during the summer when beaches are more swimmable and all-day rain is less likely.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
397 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we go to Kauai? Help please!

Kauai's north shore sounds like what you want (although the beaches do not have white sand and turqiose water). But yes you have a high chance of experiencing rain. A 6 day trip is so short.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,848 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we go to Kauai? Help please!

I would stay north - you can always drive south for better swimming beaches. :)

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
331 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we go to Kauai? Help please!

We adore Kauai, and have been there in October (as the swells - 25-30 foot waves) came in so couldn't swim, but weather was beauitul and we hiked and explored and loved it. Next trip was early Sept and we spent a week there and a week on the BI (split 5 Kohala Coast, 2 Volcano NP). We loved it again, but the beach and view in Kohala (we stayed at Mauna Lani Point) sounds like what you are describing - snorkeling right there was amazing. The island is huge and there are other hiking opportunities. I would be concerned about hitting rainy weather on the north shore of Kauai for such a short time that time of year.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Kohala Coast
Kohala Coast
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations
Kohala Suites by Hilton...
1,198 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Mauna Lani Point
Mauna Lani Point
234 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,429 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we go to Kauai? Help please!

When you say you loved Bali my first instinct is to tell you to go to Kauai and stay on the north shore. But when you say November I'm not so sure this is a good recommendation for your first trip to Kauai. Know that the Fall is the turning point for surf and weather conditions on the north shore. If you're expecting to see calm turquoise waters, white sand beaches, nonstop sunshine, you may be disappointed.

So you have to decide how important weather and water conditions are to you. If not so much then go for it. Also, some people will stay South at that time and venture north on days where the weather looks promising island-wide.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Norridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we go to Kauai? Help please!

Thanks! Weather conditions are very important to us! We'd like to spend as much time laying out on the beach, hiking and snorkeling as possible.

Is Maui a better option for us then?

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Puget Sound...
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we go to Kauai? Help please!

Not sure why so many are recommending north shore at the end of November. I believe Poipu would have everything you are looking for, with calmer surf and sunnier weather as well.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,398 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we go to Kauai? Help please!

People are recommending the north shore because the OP said, "We're scenery snobs! The turqoise beaches, white sands, lots of greenary, waterfalls etc. is what we'd like to experience"

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we go to Kauai? Help please!

I think people are conveniently overlooking the repeated "weather is very important to us". Recommending any part of Kauai that time of year has to come with the caveat that Kauai is pretty darn rainy and November actually historically gets the *most* rain on the north shore - an average of 9 inches in Princeville and even Poipu gets triple the rainfall that time of year as the resort areas of Maui. But rain can happen anywhere...so also note their desire for "beautiful clear water" for snorkeling, and turquoise water and white sands, which really doesn't fit with Kauai at all (or honestly, Hawaii in general), but particularly that time of year. I understand the desire to make it fit given their scenery wants, but I just don't think they'd find what they're looking for on Kauai that time of year at all. Maui would definitely be a better fit, but it's not nearly as pretty an island, IMO, although snorkeling is a lot better and you'll have much better odds of dry and sunny weather in certain areas.

They are considering the Virgin Islands in another post, while November is part of rainy season there too, and months like February and March are much drier and better for that part of the Caribbean, islands like St. John have more sunlight hours and sunny days than Kauai, in addition to being a shorter and much cheaper flight, and has far superior snorkeling/water clarity and the white sand beaches and turquoise water they seek.

I would save Kauai for when you can come in summer and enjoy it for its amazing scenery above ground, truly one of the most beautiful places in the world. For turquoise lagoons, snorkeling in warm, gin clear water, look at the Caribbean and French Polynesia.

Edited: 18 August 2017, 00:32
Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
331 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we go to Kauai? Help please!

So funny Shea, we were in St John in June and I was thinking that was a better fit for what they were looking for. We went there as it is a quick 4 hr flight and ferry vs 13 hrs of flying to Hawaii- I actually was going to do a post to compare. Loved St John- snorkeling and beaches are beautiful but there is a deep serenity I feel in Hawaii that speaks to me. Hope to be back next August/Sept for a big birthday

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Reply to: Should we go to Kauai? Help please!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted