We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the real risks of Leptospirosis

Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
What are the real risks of Leptospirosis

Before booking my trip I had never heard of Leptospirosis...What are the chances of getting it? How is it treated if your unfortunate to get it??

23 replies to this topic
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,879 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the real risks of Leptospirosis

Have you been reading the threads recently posted - is this your concern? I have been to Hawaii many times, but generally avoid fresh water, though I have done a few crossing when hiking. I think chances are slim but it depends on what activities you are planning to do.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,375 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the real risks of Leptospirosis

Lepto is treated with antibiotics. Most cases are no worse than flu. What are the chances? Well less than being in a car wreck, but according to this article, higher than being bitten by a shark. I would avoid freshwater with cuts or scrapes and keep your head above water.

honolulumagazine.com/Honolulu-Magazine/…

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,802 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the real risks of Leptospirosis

Lepto is easily treated IF you recognize that you have it. The people who have died from it, it is usually because they don't seek treatment right away. They think they have the flu or some such thing because the symptoms from the disease come on slowly.

The odds of getting it if you don't swim in fresh water are virtually nil.

If you swim in fresh water and have open cuts, skin abrasions, etc. the odds go up.

As a kid I loved swimming in the fresh water pools, diving in off the rocks etc, but I would never do it now.

California
Level Contributor
40,308 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are the real risks of Leptospirosis

Lord people....

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
373 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What are the real risks of Leptospirosis

I've heard that the chances are greater near where they're slaughtering the goats.

California
Level Contributor
40,308 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are the real risks of Leptospirosis

<<I've heard that the chances are greater near where they're slaughtering the goats.>>

Yes because that is so common on Kauai too!

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,375 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What are the real risks of Leptospirosis

jebett - when you have grand-kids with scraped up knees and they jump in the river, you'll worry.......

California
Level Contributor
40,308 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What are the real risks of Leptospirosis

My kids went into the streams and rivers with scrapped up knees all the time. They are living to tell the story.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,441 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What are the real risks of Leptospirosis

Actually what scares me the MOST, is being bitten by a shark that has lepto. Jebett, how did them little kids of your's turn out? ;)

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,398 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What are the real risks of Leptospirosis

I think the main thing to remember is that if you get home and feel bad - like you have a flu - be sure and let your doctor know that youʻve been somewhere where you may have contracted lepto. Most mainland doctors wouldnʻt think of it as a possibility.

Reply to: What are the real risks of Leptospirosis
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted