We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in kauai

Lausanne...
Level Contributor
17 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
7 days in kauai

Hello,

we are travelling to Kauai from the 14 of October until the 21. I have planned the main things, but now I am having some problems to fit other things to do or places to visit. Could someone help me? We will stay at the Hilton Garden Inn for the entire week.

Here is the main program:

Saturday: we arrive at 12, so after leave the baggage at the hotel. I thought to explore the south.

Driving trough Kauai tree tunnels in direction Spouting horn and then go to Poipu

beach.

Sunday: Kalau trail from Ke'e beach until Hanakapiai falls.

Explore Tunnels beach

Kilaiea lightouse

Hanalei bay

Monday: Waimea canyon until Pu'u O kila Lookout

Pihea Trail

and then what could we do?

Tuesday: we rent a kayak for 8 hours to explore Waimea river. We will start at 7:30, do we will

arrive to see Wailua falls and Opakeea falls?

After kayaking?

Wednesday: we have booked a full day in Ni'hau, if the weather will be good, we'll do scuba diving

from 6:30 am to 4pm

Any suggestion if the weather won't be good?

Thursday: we have booked an horse ride in the north to the silver falls. It starts at 1 pm until 3pm,

what we could do in the morning? Could we continue to explore the north? And then?

Friday: we haven't planned anything

Saturday: we leave in the night, we will have an helicopter tour in the morning.

Before going to Kauai, we will spend 9 days in Maui and we will go for scuba diving, trekking, surf, yoga etc.

Could someone help us?

Thank you.

Andrea

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Ke'e Beach
Ke'e Beach
622 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Tunnels Beach
Tunnels Beach
864 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Hanalei Bay
Hanalei Bay
407 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Waimea Canyon
Waimea Canyon
5,997 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Pihea Trail
Pihea Trail
44 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Waimea
Waimea
Kauai, HI
Wailua
Wailua
Kauai, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
4 replies to this topic
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,532 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days in kauai

<<Monday: Waimea canyon until Pu'u O kila Lookout

Pihea Trail

and then what could we do?>>

Have lunch or a snack in Waimea. Check out Jojo's Shave Ice. Drive out to Polihale or go to Salt Pond Beach and hang out there. Check out Hanapepe.

<<Tuesday: we rent a kayak for 8 hours to explore Waimea river. We will start at 7:30, do we will

arrive to see Wailua falls and Opakeea falls?

After kayaking?>>

I think you mean Wailua Falls. I would hike to Secret Falls during your kayaking. Also, maybe check out Kamokila Hawaiian Village.

<<Thursday: we have booked an horse ride in the north to the silver falls. It starts at 1 pm until 3pm,

what we could do in the morning? Could we continue to explore the north? And then?>>

Explore more of the north shore. Go shopping in Hanalei, have lunch in Hanalei (Tahiti Nui or Hanalei Gourmet?) Check out Kilauea, maybe hike down to Secret Beach. There is also a mini-golf and nice hike in Kilauea.

<<Friday: we haven't planned anything

Saturday: we leave in the night, we will have an helicopter tour in the morning.>>

I would move the helicopter tour to Friday. I personally do not like to plan anything the day of departure, even if it is a late flight out.

Edited: 23 September 2017, 21:29
Mentioned in this post
Waimea Canyon
Waimea Canyon
5,997 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Pihea Trail
Pihea Trail
44 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Waimea
Waimea
Kauai, HI
JoJo's Shave Ice
JoJo's Shave Ice
775 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Salt Pond Beach Park
Salt Pond Beach Park
415 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Wailua
Wailua
Kauai, HI
Wailua Falls
Wailua Falls
2,884 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Tahiti Nui Restaurant
Tahiti Nui Restaurant
1,560 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Hanalei Gourmet
Hanalei Gourmet
1,049 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kilauea
Kilauea
Kauai, HI
Secret Beach
Secret Beach
145 Reviews
Kauai, HI
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,400 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days in kauai

SATURDAY: I wouldnʻt want to drive north to the hotel then backtrack to the south shore. Maybe explore Kapa`a town and have dinner.

SUNDAY: Youʻre likely to be rather wiped out after hiking part of the Kalalau. And north shore beaches begin to get iffy in October. Iʻd try for Ke`e Beach, which is right at the trailhead. If thatʻs too rough, Makua (Tunnels) will be, too. You could try Anini, which is more protected. The lighthouse is closed Sunday/Monday.

MONDAY: Add Kaua`i Coffee Plantation. Maybe Lydgate Beach Park? Maybe a short detour to Wailua Falls on your way back to the hotel.

TUESDAY: You wonʻt see either falls on the kayak tour, but itʻs easy to drive up to both. You will be near the overlook for Opaeka`a.

WEDNESDAY: Be prepared for a really rough trip. Are you aware that you wonʻt really go to Ni`ihau, but to Lehua Rock offshore?

THURSDAY. Have breakfast in Hanalei and explore the town and/or visit Hanalei Bay. Silver Falls Ranch is only about 20 minutes back down the highway.

FRIDAY: Iʻd try for a morning helo tour this day. Maybe do Limahuli Gardens (Ha`ena).You could move Kilauea Light to this afternoon, as itʻs closed Sunday/Monday. Will be open until 4:15. Stop in Kilauea town and visit Mr. Chao, the Korat (cat) at Kong Lung store.

SATURDAY: Have hotel hold your luggage. You could head north and explore or hang out at a beach. See if HGI has a hospitality room where you can change if necessary. If not, take you travel clothes to the beach; there are facilities at Ke`e, Ha`ena, Hanalei, Anini, Kealia. Plan for and early dinner at Dukeʻs or the Barefoot Bar in Kalapaki, as itʻs very close to the airport.

Edited: 23 September 2017, 22:37
Mentioned in this post
Anini Beach
Anini Beach
706 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Lydgate Beach Park
Lydgate Beach Park
251 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Wailua Falls
Wailua Falls
2,884 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Hanalei Bay
Hanalei Bay
407 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Silver Falls Ranch
Silver Falls Ranch
877 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kilauea
Kilauea
Kauai, HI
Kalapaki Beach
Kalapaki Beach
777 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Lausanne...
Level Contributor
17 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days in kauai

Hello,

thank you very much for your suggestions. Lydgate Beach Park and Anini beach seems great. We have add to our itinerary Wai Koea trail, Limahuli garden and other things that you have suggested.

I have a question, do you think that a boat tour to see the Napali coast from the sea is a good idea? Or with the helicopter tour and trekking we will have an idea of the view? It will be possible to rent a paddle and see the coast from the water?

We have booked a full day in Nihau with a diving center in Kauai, they said that probably we won't do it because the weather in this period of the year is not good, we will see...

Any suggestion for a nice restaurant for the last night? Something romantic with a wonderful view?

Mentioned in this post
Lydgate Beach Park
Lydgate Beach Park
251 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Anini Beach
Anini Beach
706 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Napali Coast Hanalei Tours
Napali Coast Hanalei...
1,030 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,400 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days in kauai

You can rent a kayak and see the Na Pali coast, but itʻs not recommended that you do unless you are a VERY experienced ocean kayaker and go with a guide. I especially wouldnʻt do it in October for the same reason your dive boat may not go out.

Restaurant: How about Lava Lava Beach Club. You can eat with your toes in the sand, and the food is pretty good. My mainland friends absolutely love it.

Edited: 25 September 2017, 00:02
Mentioned in this post
Lava Lava Beach Club
Lava Lava Beach Club
1,088 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Reply to: 7 days in kauai
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted