We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Shore - Where to stay with kids?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
North Shore - Where to stay with kids?

Looking for a great place to stay with kids on the North Shore in Kauai for 6 nights at the end of August 2018. Traveling with husband and three kids (aged 3-9) and my Mum is now also keen to join us. Don’t want to spend more than $400 per night. We’ll have a mini-van. A condo at Hanalei Bay Resort looks like a great option - is it an easy walk to the beach with kids? Planning on mixing beach days with day trips - Waimea Canyon, Koke’e State Park, Na Pali Coast. Any places to consider other than HBR? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Hanalei Bay Resort
Hanalei Bay Resort
1,922 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Waimea Canyon
Waimea Canyon
6,007 Reviews
Kauai, HI
12 replies to this topic
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,396 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Shore - Where to stay with kids?

HBR is wonderful! Great choice, the pool is the best on the North Shore. Princeville is all up on the bluff, so Pu‘u Poa Beach roughly 200 feet down HBR has a paved path - going down is a snap, but up....well another great thing about HBR is the golf cart service...even a call box down at the bottom.

Not sure you can get a 3 bedroom for $400 a night though...jebett on this forum will know, she's owns at HBR

Edited: 21 October 2017, 01:37
Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
40,353 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Shore - Where to stay with kids?

I would rent a 2 bedroom with loft.

summitpacific.com/kauai/…93234.html

California
Level Contributor
10,077 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Shore - Where to stay with kids?

Have you considered a cottage or home in Hanalei? Most places are within walking distance to Hanalei Bay and shops and restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Hanalei Bay
Hanalei Bay
408 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Shore - Where to stay with kids?

Thanks all! Jebett, I saw that one, it looks great, thank you! I’ve been scouring the forum all weekend and noticed you’ve generously given lots of great insights. Do you mind sharing your thoughts on the position of these other 2BR apartments below which I’ve also come across (compared to 9323 & 4)? Have looked at the HBR map and the place looks huge. And from what I’ve read some may be high up on a hill? Something with a beautiful view but also not too hard for kids to walk to beach and main pool would be ideal. (Or I could ring Summitt Pacific if you think they’d be helpful?).

* 8233 & 4

* 7305 & 6

* 7301 & 2

* 4301 & 2

* 4302 & 3

Thank you!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Shore - Where to stay with kids?

We just returned from Kauai and rented a great little cottage in Hanalei via Kauai Exclusive Management (found it on VRBO). We rented Dolphin Cottage #2 (there are 5) all on the river and about a 100m walk into town. Check out Trip Advisor. We stayed only 5nights but definitely would stay again - but longer.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Shore - Where to stay with kids?

Just be aware that HBR is about a 10+ min drive from Hanalei Village.

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Shore - Where to stay with kids?

Thanks labanrata. Looks amazing and great spot! While it would be nice to be closer to Hanalei, I think a pool would be handy with the kids. You’ve made me consider lengthening our stay though. Currently planning 6 nights in Kauai followed by 6 in Waikiki. Might stay at least an extra night in Kauai :)

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
California
Level Contributor
40,353 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North Shore - Where to stay with kids?

You don't call Summit Pacific. You contact the owner direct.

8233-4....NO...just no,,,,,

7305-6...Ok but long walk to get to the main areas

4301-2. Both king beds with great views and upgraded unit

4303.... same condo above but their 3rd bedroom with two queens becomes your second bedroom. You also get the added feature of the middle part of the condo (4302) had a sleeping loft. It is a fabulous unit. One of the most popular at the resort.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,236 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North Shore - Where to stay with kids?

Any place you book in Princeville will involve walking or "carting" down to a beach. Princeville sits on a cliff above the beaches. I do believe HBR has golf carts to take their guests down to the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North Shore - Where to stay with kids?

Jebett, thanks so much for this, much appreciated! And thanks fishdiva for the further info. I’m a bit confused about booking. Do I contact the owner direct through the Summit Pacific website? Or ... I also noticed the condo we’re looking at is managed by Parrish Collection - do I just book through them? Sorry for all the questions.

Reply to: North Shore - Where to stay with kids?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted