We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in South Kauai November 9th to 12th

Paris, France
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in South Kauai November 9th to 12th

Hi everyone

My fiance and I are leaving in less than two weeks now to Hawaii and had a reservation near Hanapepe for three nights (then we spend two nights in the north shore) but our Airbnb host just cancelled :(

We are therefore looking for any advises on where to stay in such a short notice.

We are both around 30yo, we are not looking for anything luxurious or with a view, but would like to have our own kitchen to fix our own meals and if possible separate bathroom. Our budget would be around 100€ per night.

We had planned mostly to hike around in Waimea Canyon, drive to Polihale SP, walk around Hanapepe Friday night festival, maybe go on a Napali Coast sunset sail tour. A bit of a night life could be nice but not a requisite for us neither.

I had a quick look and found fx that one :

http://www.seakauai.com/BoatHousePage4.htm any recent opinion on that one ?

On a bit higher budget, I looked up on booking and found that one : Banyan Harbor with good reviews.

Any help and advises would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :)

15 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
41,050 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in South Kauai November 9th to 12th

The Airbnb places you are thinking of don't exist on Kauai. You will have your own space. If you are renting a room in someone's house, don't. Thats not legal.

Why do you want to be in this area? Stay in Poipu where you will have more options and still be close to the canyon. Banyon Harbor condos are not in my favorite area but they are cheap. Check Waikomo Stream or Prince Kuhio. Parrish Rentals has listings. Avoid the huge service fees of AirBnB. Your budget is very low for Hawaii even for a hotel. Thats about $125 a night and then add all the taxes and cleaning. You are limited but its possible. Poipu is a much nicer area than the westside where there are few services.

Level Contributor
286 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in South Kauai November 9th to 12th

Agree with poipu, or close to it for what you wish to do while on island

Try contacting > suite paradise < at Poipu Kai Condos. Over a $ 100.00 a bit, but be prepared for the taxes and resort fees no matter where you select to stay. Suggest the Kalhala section. You can call all that up on the computer and also call them.

Banyan Harbor: We lived there for nearly 8 years, and it is an older property and a mixture of residents, short term vacations, long term rentals and time share. Across the road from the Lihue Marriot and Kalapaki Beach . I would think that the cost of Banyan Harbor or Poipu Kai would be about the same, we would elect Poipu Kai condsidering you are on holiday and heading toward the west side for your explorations

Poipu Kai, Garden View, one bedroom, in the Kalahal section. Might look into Kahala 832.

But, there are loads of others.

Level Contributor
286 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in South Kauai November 9th to 12th

Back again with more info on Poipu Kai

1. One reason we suggested Kahala # 832 is that we have it reserved for three weeks in June 2018

2. Suite Paradise also combo's in a very good discounted rate for an Avis Rental Car.

3. The unit is top floor with a garden view of thick trees, and distant island view from the huge a huge lanai .

4. Poipu Kai, parking is out front of the unit, bbq's near the unit, easy walk to the beach, peaceful and quiet and friendly

5. Suite Paradise management company is on property

6. Great location for beaches restaurants, bars, and all kinds of fun activities,

6. Nice locate for heading up to the west side, salt pond, port allen, Hanapepe, waimea canyon and the kalalau valley. And hiking Koke'e

7. Units are large, and nicely appointed, and feel like you are living on island, which we like.

8. Poipu Kai : We stayed there for 12 years of visits, and everything was excellent. Another reason that we are heading back.

10. Of course there are other places to stay, and you can research them , and make a educated choice.

We like getting personal referals from people we can trust, and respect, and this forum is excellent for straight and honest recommendations.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Banyan Harbor: Small,, older resort that sits up on the side of a hill, bordered in the back by jungle.

Our unit that was our home was 2 br and 1.5 bathes. Totally furnished town house style. We had a nice lanai with a fiew of Kipu and Ha'upu Mountain ranges , and partially of the harbor and kalapaki bay.

Across from our unit was a bbq lanai, with two gas BBQ's, and table and bench seats and fresh water sink and long counter.

The pool is a hill top view swimming pool with super views , and bbq's and comfort station.

We could walk easily to near by restaurants and bars , the Harbor Mall, Anchor Cove Mall, and the Lihue Marriot at Kalapaki Beach. Also a couple of additional favorites, at the Marriot, is the outside tiki bar by the pool and next to the beach. Also Dukes Canoe Club downstairs. Plus walking up and around Kauai Lagoons up by the golf course.

Drive to Poipu in about 20 minutes.

Other amenities of Banyan Harbor

Across the road is the Kauai Athletic Club, that we used five days a week.

Also had the Kukui Grove Shopping Village just a couple of minutes up nawiliwili road.

Great location for living as residents since we had all of the amenities for daily living within just a couple of minutes.

Downsides: Noise from the container ship operations, most buildings not aligned with the tradewinds,, Had ceiling fans, and small window a/c .

There you go.......were we planning on doing what you all are, we would prefer Poipu Kai in Poipu Beach.

And, Poipu Kai or Banyon Harbor might be more in line with your budget. than some of the other lodgings.

Enjoy your holiday

Denny

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,748 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in South Kauai November 9th to 12th

So 100€ is about $120 USD. I agree that Poipu would be a much better option. My husband stays at Waikomo Streams Villas 3-4 times a year and he loves this complex. They have some real nice and inexpensive options.

parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/…

Here are some other options. Parrish often runs promos and has some great rates right now!

parrishkauai.com/kauai-rentals/…

parrishkauai.com/kauai-rentals/nalo-studio-a/

Limerick, Maine
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in South Kauai November 9th to 12th

120usd is not alot but I second that you could try Prince Kuhio. They have inexpensive condos...many studios and 1 bedrooms in that price range. It is a nice area...not far from shopping and restaurants. Across the street from the best snorkling beach on the South shore. Nice area to walk about. Most units have ocean views, though side views because of orientation of the building. Three story complex, no elevator, does have a pool. Units are individually owned so decor varies. Check vrbo.com or http://www.prince-kuhio.com/

Paris, France
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in South Kauai November 9th to 12th

Thank you so much for all your replies ang great suggestions, I'm looking at them at the moment :)

@jebett : I thought it was the other way around, that renting a space without living in it on airbnb was illegal (like in NYC for instance) And I would'nt say airbnb has huge service fees, as the price I mentionned was what we were supposed to pay all included (no extra cleaning, resort taxes like at some other places).

@Dennis : The last availabilities > suite paradise < at Poipu Kai Condos are quite expansive unfortunately (800$) Thank you very much for your review of Banyan Harbor, I have a special price for that one on booking.com (being a regular customer) 425€ for 3nights, but they don't specify anything about cleaning fee, so don't know if it's included or not.

@Brenda B, martik and jebett : The parrish collection and Prince Kuhio have some interesting listings as well, when added to the taxes, processing fee, (no cleaning fee ?) and security deposit, Prince kuhio seems a bit more affordable to us :)

California
Level Contributor
41,050 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in South Kauai November 9th to 12th

To to the OP. If someone rents a room in their house on Kauai that is a no no. The county has really cracked down on those rentals. They are not legally approved dwellings. Most of those type of rentals are going on in other locations around the world. Europeans love to use Airbnb. Trust me you don't want to rent anything like that in the states especially Hawaii. Only rent a TVR listed unit. BnB's are few. Only a very few were permitted.

I know one of our frequent posters loves Poipu Kai development, but for me I would rather be closer to the water. I don't like being bunched up with hundred of condos around me and no space. Prince Kuhio are ok. They are for the budget seekers who want to be close to the snorkeling beach and its walkable to a very nice shopping center. Its not in Poipu but the best bang for the buck and popular with Europena travelers is Islander On the Beach in Kapaa.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in South Kauai November 9th to 12th

Okay nice to know. I had heared it with NYC and California, and of course in Europe in general where it's as you say more frequent but there are also new rules coming up to prevent from renting from airbnb, especially in bigger cities. But I hadn't followed so much how the situation were in Hawaii.. unfortunately :(

I had a look on Islander On the beach but there's no longer availability.

The place in itself doesn't matter that much as we'll spend our time mostly outside (hopefully!!) but would still be nice with a roof over our heads though ;) I've contacted one from prince kuhio and am waiting for an answer.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in South Kauai November 9th to 12th

As far as Banyan Harbor, there will be no cleaning fee, but a $12 per day 'resort fee' when renting thru Expedia or Booking.com (covers the wifi, etc.). Our friends were there for 3 nights a couple weeks ago as part of flight/hotel stay they booked online. They told me the condo was quite nice, with 2 bedrooms upstairs, a full kitchen and living room down, and a nice pool area (no hot tub though). Chances are you won't have much of an oceanview, other than a peekaboo view over the shipyard. The location was good with the beach/park across the street and walking distance to shops and restaurants.

Edited: 22 October 2017, 19:20
Paris, France
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in South Kauai November 9th to 12th

@Hlforlife : Thank you very much for your review, I've just made a reservation at Banyan Harbor via booking.com that is cancelable without fee while waiting for a reply from prince kuhio.

By the way about prince kuhio, has anyone rented a car via their service ?

Reply to: Where to stay in South Kauai November 9th to 12th
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted