We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koloa Landing Resort v. Marriott Waiohai Beach Club

Centennial...
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Koloa Landing Resort v. Marriott Waiohai Beach Club

Down to these 2 resorts for a family of 4 (young adult children). I realize that one is on the beach and the other isn't, but I'm more interested in quality of the resort. We would like to stay on the beach, but I'm concerned that the Waiohai is more of a timeshare feel and less luxury. How does the Koloa compare? We've stayed at the Ritz Carleton in Maui and are trying to simulate the feel with these resorts. I appreciate any information!

28 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
41,028 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koloa Landing Resort v. Marriott Waiohai Beach Club

KL is brand new with an excellent pool for kids. Martik just stayed there and can give her two cents. The Marriott is a timeshare property and very popular which means more people. It is on a great beach.

I've stayed at the Ritz on Maui and NO WAY can you compare condo complexes to that hotel. Neither KL or Marriott are luxury properties. You just don't find that on Kauai. The closest to the Ritz is St Regis in Princeville and thats a stretch.

Centennial...
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koloa Landing Resort v. Marriott Waiohai Beach Club

Thank you for the quick response. We went ahead and booked the KL as it is a newer property. This will be our first time to Kauai. Any other thoughts or advice? We’re thinking of Ubering as opposed to renting a car or walking. We also might rent a Harley.

California
Level Contributor
41,028 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koloa Landing Resort v. Marriott Waiohai Beach Club

Ubering? Not gonna happen.... There are very few Uber drivers. You will be wasting lots of time waiting for the one or two drivers on the entire south side. You MUST rent a car. Motorcycles aren't really safe transportation. The roads aren't set up very well for it. Its fun to rent for a day I suppose but Kauai is an island where you must have a car. Costco Travel or Discount Hawaii Car Rental is the way to book.

My advice is 1. rent a car. 2. book excursions that are popular like tubing, boats, helicopter etc ahead of time. You get online discount for booking ahead. 3. Make reservations at least 2 weeks out for the more popular restaurants. 4. Visit the North Shore. 5. See the canyon. 6. Check top questions 7. Follow trip reports and the forum until you leave.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,521 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koloa Landing Resort v. Marriott Waiohai Beach Club

Not renting a vehicle would be extremely ill advised on Kauai. Public transportation is pretty much non existent, and taxis charge a king's ransom.

Pick-up and return to LIH, and you will soon realize that was the best decision you could have made. The Island is stunning and there are plenty of spots to explore...and at your own pace. The roads are easily navigable.

Koloa landing is a real gem. We had a nearly 3 week stay there, and absolutely loved it. It is well situated within Poipu and close distance to many shops and dining options. The fit and finish is top notch, and service is most accommodating.Good choice!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,741 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koloa Landing Resort v. Marriott Waiohai Beach Club

What time of year are you coming? We just stayed in a very nice 2 bedroom/ 2 1/2 bath condo at Koloa Landing (building 6). Very nice resort with 3 pools, adult pool, small pool and a Mega Hyatt type pool with slides and waterfalls. The resort can be loud, depending on your unit’s location and proximity to pools and jacuzzis. Nice restaurant and bars, easy access to the ocean (beach is a 10-15 minute walk), centrally located in Poipu. It’s a beautiful resort and very nice. If you are looking for a resort type of place, KL is very nice. We personally felt it was way too loud with too many people, but we are here over Thanksgiving week and the entire island is pretty busy.

Centennial...
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Koloa Landing Resort v. Marriott Waiohai Beach Club

Thank you for the information. We will be there the first week of January.

Centennial...
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Koloa Landing Resort v. Marriott Waiohai Beach Club

I appreciate the information.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,789 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Koloa Landing Resort v. Marriott Waiohai Beach Club

You're a family with 2 little ones and thinking of not getting a car? Won't work. Uber is pretty non-existent and cabs are expensive. Without a car you won't be seeing the island. Having to take cabs everywhere will restrict your freedom and with 2 children I just don't see it. How would you get out and see the island? The cost of cabs will eventually total well more than the cost of renting a small compact.

If you do not get a car the Marriott Waiohai would be a better choice. Koloa Landing is a bit more updated , expansive and the pools are great there. However, you need a car there more than at the Marriott Waiohai. At least at the Waiohai you'll be right on the beach and in walking distance to Poipu Shopping area with restaurants & shops and a couple of other places to dine also in walking distance.

Renting a Harley could be a good waste of money that could be put into a rental car for all 4 of you.

Edited: 27 November 2017, 16:32
California
Level Contributor
41,028 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Koloa Landing Resort v. Marriott Waiohai Beach Club

<<You're a family with 2 little ones>>

They have young adults and I think Koloa Landing is walkable to the other shopping center so its 50/50.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,789 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Koloa Landing Resort v. Marriott Waiohai Beach Club

Okay, I missed that they're young adults and not little ones. Still say the Waiohai is a better location overall. It really all comes down to if they want to be on the beach or not. The Marriott Waiohai doesn't have the updated pizzazz that KL does but it's nice enough as a vacation home. The main thing is a car is absolutely necessary regardless of which resort is picked.

Reply to: Koloa Landing Resort v. Marriott Waiohai Beach Club
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted