We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dec 18-26 in Kauai with a 15mo girl! Would love some tips!

NY
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Dec 18-26 in Kauai with a 15mo girl! Would love some tips!

Hello,

My family and I will be in Kauai from Dec 18-26. We'll be in Princeville from the 18-22 (at the St Regis) and in Koloa/Poipu from the 22-26 (at the Grand Hyatt). Our little girl is still crawling and we are looking for fun activities so she can join in the fun. We've booked a farm tour at Kunana Dairy for the 20th and a Xmas Luau for the 24th. Would love any tips/recommendations on other toddler-friendly activities/locations and places to eat. Will a lot of places be crowded during this time? Will places be open on the 24th and 25th?

Also, I'm thinking we'd like to pick up some plastic beach toys for our baby during our drive from the airport to Princeville -- where should we stop to grab some beach essentials and groceries?

Thanks so very much!

5 replies to this topic
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,910 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dec 18-26 in Kauai with a 15mo girl! Would love some tips!

Walmart for beach stuff and some basic groceries. Safeway & Foodland are both on the way and both will have some beach toys. Make sure you ask for the discount card at both stores.

Take the little one to Kamalani Playground at Lydgate Park.

I've never been on-island at Christmas, but I've heard very crowded. Some restaurants will be open, but probably booked up by now. Hukilau Lanai - https://hukilaukauai.com/

California
Level Contributor
41,034 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dec 18-26 in Kauai with a 15mo girl! Would love some tips!

No need to drive all the way to Lydgate for a playground. There is a playground at the mini golf course and one at the entrance to Princeville. To the right of your question is top questions and one is hikes for kids. The bike path in Kapaa is very nice. You can rent a stroller.

Foodland at the Princeville Center has beach toys and there is a darling toy store there as well. Walmart or Kmart will be the cheapest.

How about the train ride at Kilohana Plantation?

You have chosen two gorgeous resorts. Have a wonderful holiday.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,578 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dec 18-26 in Kauai with a 15mo girl! Would love some tips!

Walmart for beach toys and basics. Safeway in Kapaʻa if you need more than basics. Be sure to get their maikaʻi club card to get discounts.

4. Re: Dec 18-26 in Kauai with a 15mo girl! Would love some tips!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2017, 16:37

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,789 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dec 18-26 in Kauai with a 15mo girl! Would love some tips!

While you're staying in Poipu take her to the keiki swimming area at Poipu Beach Park. This is a protected and calm area for little ones. The deepest it gets is under 3 feet. Much of it is less than a foot deep. I have a great photo but I don't know how to paste it in here. Just do an image search for Poipu Beach Park children's swimming area. It's right by the lifeguard stand.

Reply to: Dec 18-26 in Kauai with a 15mo girl! Would love some tips!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted